It really concerns me when I hear of stories of parents who join Autism organisations because they are afraid of accepting the diagnosis of Autism in the child. What is even more distressing are the measures to try and cure or prevent Autism from within the person. Why are such drastic and unrealistic expectations occurring?
I believe that early awareness is needed of Autism and what better means of this being assisted than allowing adults on the Autism Spectrum to become mentors. Advisors to the young person with Autism and shared of experiences and strategies on how to function better in the world? Sadly I don't see much of this happening. There are many adults within the community, including myself who do Autism Advocacy work. Sadly though we are not being allowed into the spotlight for lacking so called experience and or qualifications. If future generations of persons with Autism need support then why not allow adults with Autism to become mentors?
For a long time I have fought long and hard to allow adults with Autism our rightful place in society. A means where we are not seen as broken individuals needing to be fixed but rather acceptance and a means of embrace. There are still many barriers however and brick walls in the way and these need to be taken down. It is not easy but with much optimism it is possible.
Today I met with a new adult who is assisting the group with advocacy work. He has some good ideas and suggestions and is around the same age as myself. I will be working with him and other adults including Ben Wilshire to further raise awareness.
In the meantime I ask you to continue to like my Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/GARRYBURGE.AS and to contact me via Facebook
Regards
Garry Burge
I believe that early awareness is needed of Autism and what better means of this being assisted than allowing adults on the Autism Spectrum to become mentors. Advisors to the young person with Autism and shared of experiences and strategies on how to function better in the world? Sadly I don't see much of this happening. There are many adults within the community, including myself who do Autism Advocacy work. Sadly though we are not being allowed into the spotlight for lacking so called experience and or qualifications. If future generations of persons with Autism need support then why not allow adults with Autism to become mentors?
For a long time I have fought long and hard to allow adults with Autism our rightful place in society. A means where we are not seen as broken individuals needing to be fixed but rather acceptance and a means of embrace. There are still many barriers however and brick walls in the way and these need to be taken down. It is not easy but with much optimism it is possible.
Today I met with a new adult who is assisting the group with advocacy work. He has some good ideas and suggestions and is around the same age as myself. I will be working with him and other adults including Ben Wilshire to further raise awareness.
In the meantime I ask you to continue to like my Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/GARRYBURGE.AS and to contact me via Facebook
Regards
Garry Burge
No comments:
Post a Comment