Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Trying to keep active at 42

Over the past 2 years I have managed to keep my exercise routine up to date.  Both in the morning and afternoon, I do some sit ups, cardio workout by jogging on the spot and doing some star jumps. I also do some exercise with weights.  I have found that anxiety has reduced as well as irritable bowel and stomach irritations.  I still confront challenges though in being able to communicate with others on a more social level.  I see the importance in having and wanting friends but relationships are just beyond me.  I just feel it all too much work and get tired of people who say I don't try hard enough.  People should try living with Autism each day.  Navigating the world at large is exhausting not to also mention the shear amount of mental exhaustion and energy required in trying to rely solely on your intelligence to get about. 


I do find that making friends has become a little easier and with a large following on both Facebook and LinkedIn, I am doing very well.  Not that I want to boast but more so try to improve.  I still find however that there is segregation because people seem largely afraid or unable to understand how I think and function.  I know that there are some people who I don't get on with but there are others that seem unable to relate to the way I operate.  I cannot control overall how having Autism does affect me but I do work on ways of overcoming the areas which need improvement in myself. 


We live in a world that is so uptight and on edge.  Furthermore, people seem reluctant to know how to communicate with each other.  I see the importance in particular of men putting aside their issues and striving towards better cohesion and friendships with each other.  More importantly a means of guiding future generations of young people to grow in confidence and in leadership.  A great deal of many people have become blinded by consumerism and image.  They simply have forgotten the basic tenets of helping each other out and accepting help when a person is genuine about providing it.  Sadly trust has been abused by abuse from the insidious but people need to think and rely on intelligence more.  I believe that in our life we need to make the most of what we have and to live within our means.  Sadly some people don't live within their means and get into serious debt and financial hardship and instead of thinking about the overall prosperity of their country, they instead think of themselves.  It is all a matter of being sensible and realistic.  Not everyone is perfect but people are given a brain and should use it more.  Watching the news is often depressing and I cannot stand some of the lies and propaganda which is in your face. 


Working in an environment with young people is very positive.  Not only can many think and perform within an intellectual curious setting, they can also be guided and encouraged to become better men and women.  I try to be a good role model where I can but sadly there is still some remaining 'me first attitude' about.  It really is annoying when you try and offer help to people only to get in return "I'm right".  Furthermore there are givers and takers in the world and people seem to be more takers than givers.  All you can do is try your best and hope that within yourself that you can change other people's attitudes? 


As I approach the 50 bracket which I hope will not be too fast, I remain concerned about my own mental and physical health.  Having medical issues can be a challenge if you have Autism because often pain, discomfort and even seeing a doctor can be overwhelming.  The medical fraternity still needs a better understanding of Autism and we need to find more statistics to see what is happening with persons with Autism within middle and later age.  As yet there is not a lot of information and this needs further research and investigation.  What for instance is the average life expectancy of a person with Autism?  Where also are the adults in the community?  How are they functioning and are they being neglected and need better services? 


I know of adults who are older than me and some advocate whereas others have just fallen off the radar.  So at 42 I continue to do my best even though I often feel like an outsider and find social isolation all too overwhelming at times. 



A learning environment not only can be social but stimulating.  A lot of people and young people need more encouragement to learn and grow their minds.

2 comments:

  1. Im an aspie too and i too found my anxiety levels lessen the more i exercised. I find bootcamp a good way of exercising. Being around people while exercising is a less stressful social outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please be sure to visit my website too www.garryburge.com

      Delete