As a man on the Autism Spectrum one of the difficulties I confront is finding ways to understand the opposite sex better. I have always struggled to make friends and not growing up with many friends caused me to be in a distinct disadvantage. I think that having friends at an early age and growing up with friends is important both for mental health and for social improvement. I think that through the early periods, that men in particular learn and grow by having friends whether they be platonic or within the same gender group. As for persons on the Autism Spectrum we seem to always be on the outer and grow and excel either in our own time or through our own means. The school environment may not always be supportive either as man of us confront bullying and a sense of alienation.
Does not having friends cause you social isolation and difficulty in relating to the same gender and those of the opposite sex?
In answer to this question and from personal experience, I have always struggled myself in knowing exactly what is required in a friendship. How often do I reciprocate for instance and furthermore what are the nuances and behaviours which I need to exhibit? Over the years it has become somewhat an obsession to make friends and I find that I have more friends now than before. I find though the mental energy required is just exhausting because I put a lot of effort into just getting by and in trying to keep friends that often I confront mind blindness and mental exhaustion at the end of the day. I also believe that I have more Autism than Asperger Syndrome in terms of communication for I can communicate in more of a professional context but within a purely social one, I fall down badly.
I never really had friends as I grew up that could guide me with dating women and in knowing the social behaviours required in order to fit in. Even now I still encounter some social isolation but with Facebook, LinkedIn and Skype, I can overcome some of the hurdles with social isolation. I find that with Aspies that we are just wired uniquely or differently and that like the jigsaw puzzle, we don't really fit in with other pieces within the puzzle. We need to either finds ways to adapt or if we are not able to function enough, we tend to be on the outer once again.
A friend to me is someone who is honest and genuine. A person who accepts you for who you are and helps you when you need help. We live in a world where there are givers and takers and sadly more people seem to be takers and few are givers. It can be a real struggle. Friends are important though because not only do we socialise but people learn from each other. For an Aspie though this can be a worrying deficit because we are not growing because we are not learning and social inclusion therefore is needed as well as tolerance and understanding. Aspies can be blunt but it is not because we want to offend people but more so because we speak our minds. Often we confront rejection and even bullying as a result and such attitudes need to change.
Would the following therefore be important for persons on the Autism Spectrum?
Friends to help with growing, learning and overcoming social isolation
Mirroring as a means of better functioning and obtaining advice to better adapt to friendships and relationships
A better means of overcoming mental health issues
Perhaps you can think of more reasons?
Does not having friends cause you social isolation and difficulty in relating to the same gender and those of the opposite sex?
In answer to this question and from personal experience, I have always struggled myself in knowing exactly what is required in a friendship. How often do I reciprocate for instance and furthermore what are the nuances and behaviours which I need to exhibit? Over the years it has become somewhat an obsession to make friends and I find that I have more friends now than before. I find though the mental energy required is just exhausting because I put a lot of effort into just getting by and in trying to keep friends that often I confront mind blindness and mental exhaustion at the end of the day. I also believe that I have more Autism than Asperger Syndrome in terms of communication for I can communicate in more of a professional context but within a purely social one, I fall down badly.
I never really had friends as I grew up that could guide me with dating women and in knowing the social behaviours required in order to fit in. Even now I still encounter some social isolation but with Facebook, LinkedIn and Skype, I can overcome some of the hurdles with social isolation. I find that with Aspies that we are just wired uniquely or differently and that like the jigsaw puzzle, we don't really fit in with other pieces within the puzzle. We need to either finds ways to adapt or if we are not able to function enough, we tend to be on the outer once again.
A friend to me is someone who is honest and genuine. A person who accepts you for who you are and helps you when you need help. We live in a world where there are givers and takers and sadly more people seem to be takers and few are givers. It can be a real struggle. Friends are important though because not only do we socialise but people learn from each other. For an Aspie though this can be a worrying deficit because we are not growing because we are not learning and social inclusion therefore is needed as well as tolerance and understanding. Aspies can be blunt but it is not because we want to offend people but more so because we speak our minds. Often we confront rejection and even bullying as a result and such attitudes need to change.
Would the following therefore be important for persons on the Autism Spectrum?
Friends to help with growing, learning and overcoming social isolation
Mirroring as a means of better functioning and obtaining advice to better adapt to friendships and relationships
A better means of overcoming mental health issues
Perhaps you can think of more reasons?
No comments:
Post a Comment