If you can remember the TV series Mork and Mindy, you may remember how Mork lived his life as an observer. He spoke regularly to his superior Orson about how to understand the human race. For me I constantly struggle with it everyday. I find that I am largely either unknown or misunderstood. For instance I offend people just for speaking my mind and seem to cause annoyance in wanting things done and done properly.
When I left the school system which I found was largely frustrating and within a stressful environment, I came out with a poor academic transcript. When I later tried to go to university, I was told by an Occupational Therapist that I would simply be wasting my time. Despite me proving him wrong and many critics, I was successfully able to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of New England in 1999. I undertook university because I wanted to show that no matter where I was in life that I no longer had a failed school certificate against my name. It also would try and provide me with some hope that in future employment that I could find something and not be destined for the scrap heap or be thrown or forced into a toxic and harsh work setting.
The challenges I have today is that people don't really see the silent struggles. One of my elderly parents whom I live with is going through some challenges at the moment and despite being seen as lacking empathy, I try my best to provide support and assistance wherever possible. It really hurts me deeply when a person says I lack empathy because I do not. I am a very giving person or try to be but often I am overlooked or confront continual social isolation. I always strive for understanding and in wanting to have friends but for me the way my wiring and thinking occur, people do not always understand where I am coming from.
In Australia I notice that so many people who really should be given the lime light never reach it. Instead within the higher echelons of society there tends to be a focus on sporting identities and on people who have achieved success through often unsavory means. I have never really felt that I exist in Australian society because I am not into drinking or playing sport. For me I prefer to be around people who have open minds and who are intellectually curious. I am not sure exactly where such people exist?
I like to see things done properly and like to ensure that as a person I try my best to deliver a high quality standard of work and professionalism. Sadly I seem to offend people just for being myself in a society which seems largely mediocre. I am told I am negative but for me speaking my mind is the only way I can communicate. It is hard to know right from wrong in some certain social situations and I find myself sometimes confused and having to rely on my intelligence to problem solve. My training at university allowed me a mind that constantly thinks and questions but sadly sometimes I feel like a bulldozer hitting an iron wall! There is just no way beyond it. What do I need to do and what way can I get around it?
Ben Wilshire is doing a lot of good work and assisting Ben to become a leading Autism Advocate in Australia is working well. I also will be travelling with Ben to New Zealand in August and hopefully thereafter to Europe if all goes well. It would be good to have a friend to go with.
I am at the moment coming to terms with a lot and I cannot get counselling at UQ Psych Clinic until April. Still getting ongoing counselling is impossible and I hope that things change in the future. I always try my best to create and lead change but often it doesn't come soon enough. I also contact Chris Mitchell every Saturday night in the United Kingdom via Skype and in my spare time I run the adult group and network. Just for now it is a matter of trying to do my best and try to not walk on egg shells to offend people or get them offside. I just wish changes did not occur to the DSMV changing Asperger Syndrome as a diagnosis because to me it is an identity.
More updates soon when I can think of more to write.
When I left the school system which I found was largely frustrating and within a stressful environment, I came out with a poor academic transcript. When I later tried to go to university, I was told by an Occupational Therapist that I would simply be wasting my time. Despite me proving him wrong and many critics, I was successfully able to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of New England in 1999. I undertook university because I wanted to show that no matter where I was in life that I no longer had a failed school certificate against my name. It also would try and provide me with some hope that in future employment that I could find something and not be destined for the scrap heap or be thrown or forced into a toxic and harsh work setting.
The challenges I have today is that people don't really see the silent struggles. One of my elderly parents whom I live with is going through some challenges at the moment and despite being seen as lacking empathy, I try my best to provide support and assistance wherever possible. It really hurts me deeply when a person says I lack empathy because I do not. I am a very giving person or try to be but often I am overlooked or confront continual social isolation. I always strive for understanding and in wanting to have friends but for me the way my wiring and thinking occur, people do not always understand where I am coming from.
In Australia I notice that so many people who really should be given the lime light never reach it. Instead within the higher echelons of society there tends to be a focus on sporting identities and on people who have achieved success through often unsavory means. I have never really felt that I exist in Australian society because I am not into drinking or playing sport. For me I prefer to be around people who have open minds and who are intellectually curious. I am not sure exactly where such people exist?
I like to see things done properly and like to ensure that as a person I try my best to deliver a high quality standard of work and professionalism. Sadly I seem to offend people just for being myself in a society which seems largely mediocre. I am told I am negative but for me speaking my mind is the only way I can communicate. It is hard to know right from wrong in some certain social situations and I find myself sometimes confused and having to rely on my intelligence to problem solve. My training at university allowed me a mind that constantly thinks and questions but sadly sometimes I feel like a bulldozer hitting an iron wall! There is just no way beyond it. What do I need to do and what way can I get around it?
Ben Wilshire is doing a lot of good work and assisting Ben to become a leading Autism Advocate in Australia is working well. I also will be travelling with Ben to New Zealand in August and hopefully thereafter to Europe if all goes well. It would be good to have a friend to go with.
I am at the moment coming to terms with a lot and I cannot get counselling at UQ Psych Clinic until April. Still getting ongoing counselling is impossible and I hope that things change in the future. I always try my best to create and lead change but often it doesn't come soon enough. I also contact Chris Mitchell every Saturday night in the United Kingdom via Skype and in my spare time I run the adult group and network. Just for now it is a matter of trying to do my best and try to not walk on egg shells to offend people or get them offside. I just wish changes did not occur to the DSMV changing Asperger Syndrome as a diagnosis because to me it is an identity.
More updates soon when I can think of more to write.
No comments:
Post a Comment