The difficulty in today's world is that there is a lack of role models and leadership skills in young people.
To begin this post I wanted to examine whether more leadership skills are needed to make for a better world. I find it ironic that for a person who is supposedly lacking in social skills, and communication skills that myself and others with Autism are seen as somehow defective. I would like to inform you however that over the years in order to communicate and confront barriers with everyday chit chat, that learning communication skills has been a constant challenge. In order to ensure that with students that they obtain the support they need and patrons, communication is something which really needs a great deal of professional output. This comes in the form of making sure what the person wants is fulfilled to the best of my ability. This involves encouraging the person to think and to enquire in their first for knowledge. Although the coming days remain uncertain and there is a real possibility that redundancy may be a reality, I know that all I can do is to focus on the present and to deliver the best I can. Despite being worn down over the years and being told what can't be done instead of what can, I try my best to remain always optimistic.
Making friends has not been easy but over the years I have tried my best to focus on my own achievements and mentors around me that continue to offer support wherever they can. I have some good friends on the Autism Spectrum and it is good to know that I can share experiences and journeys with like minds. Friendship is important to a person on the Autism Spectrum because a lack of peers and friends while growing up has meant an absence in talking about for instance the challenges and issues of being male is like. I always struggled not having friends and more importantly having the trust to share experiences, anxieties and concerns. Understanding persons of the opposite sex has especially been a challenge because I never could share or find the necessary means through a lack of a social circle to grow in this direction. People are often confused by the way my mind works because I always want to expand my friend base and wanting to do this within your own gender has created some confusion over the years. Although I do regard myself as heterosexual the pressures placed upon me in my mid life can often be overwhelming. I can sometimes attract to persons of the opposite sex who may be married or in a relationship. With my mind however thinking within a conservative constraint, I know the responsibilities of trying to understand boundaries. I guess there is a part of me that still wants to fit in with other men and belong to the male tribe but what I find frustrating is the absence of culture and intellectual curiosity. I don't really have the coordination to be good at sport or other physical activity and I am not really that motivated to self reflect on parts of my torso which are supposedly 'chick magnets'. These of course being abdominal and bicep attributes. It makes one wonder within an academic setting whether such attributes are necessary given the emphasis on the mind and its supposed first for knowledge.
I find it frustrating that within younger generations that many men and I guess women fail in leadership skills. One of the best attributes within employment is good leadership skills and confidence. I try my best to encourage others younger than me to be guided by what I learnt and taught myself in terms of leadership skills. Having an emphasis on communication and getting the message across is essential. I find it frustrating however that as a person who has Autism that I am not seen as a so called expert. You would think that being Autistic and having the condition yourself that you would be the first port of call when it comes to others wanting to know more, more so than asking a person who possesses a PhD or some other qualification? Furthermore, I seem unable to train others and guide them with my own experiences in life because I do not possess a piece of paper that illustrates my credentials. I hope someday that I will be able to mentor others and be some kind of role model for now and the future. Younger generations of people need good mentoring and furthermore they need to be built up. Nothing is more important than job leadership skills. What do you think of this video despite it being from the 1950s? Does it teach you anything?
Over the coming months, I hope to find ways to make having Autism more positive. I also ask that for future support that you please support my page on Facebook and visit my website www.garryburge.com
More updates soon!
Despite the world remaining constantly confusing I will do my best to deliver to others and make for a positive future.
|
The personal experiences and stories of an adult with Asperger Syndrome on the Autism Spectrum by Garry Burge.
Saturday, April 4, 2015
Why leadership skills are important
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment