Thursday, January 19, 2012

Learning new skills

I open this post with some very positive comments.  As I connect more and more with Aspies around the world, I find that most have a lot to share and many have diverse and interesting obsessions.

Now as I start to write this post I begin with the good news that I am starting to learn some new skills at work. Over the past few days, I have learned how to scan books into PDF documents. Despite this being challenging, it is something that does require a great deal of concentration and more more importantly dedication.  However, whas I have to think hard about is trying to ask questions but not too many so that I don't bombard other staff with questions.  If I am unable to get specific training, then I have to ask questions as I like to do things properly.  I like to do the job properly and ensure that my efforts are not wasted.  So I am learning new scanning and I hope to learn other duties within my current position.

As most if not all people are aware, I do connect with other Aspies around the world.  I find that closer friendships and communication is occuring and at last there is a slow ending to some of the misery of being socially isolated and feeling depressed.  I draw comfort in the fact that many adults on the Autism Spectrum are coming out of their shells but what I find most frustrating is that many are unable to obtain employment.  Unlike a non Aspie who has better coping mechanisms to deal with unemployment, an Aspie simply either implodes, becomes depressed and sadly much more.

I wish I could train some of the adults in employment.  I hear their stories but they simply are not getting the help they require.  I think to myself that at least I have a job and I hope it provides encouragement to others that there is hope.  Learning new skills is always something that is important and seriously more needs to be done to ensure that Aspies are able to find employment.  Their many attritubutes could assist greatly in employment where social skills may not be required.  For instance an Aspie interested in aeroplanes could overcome some of the improvements needed in aircraft layout and modification etc.

The world needs to be learning more from Aspies more so than ignoring them.  We exist in our own minds but if people gave us the time and a chance there would be so much to learn.  Thereforre learning new skills is important!