Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Last night's presentation

Last night I spoke in front of approximately 100 people as guest speaker at Rotary Club of Jindalee Within my presentation I mentioned my own work, Dr Tony Attwood and some of the other adults on the Autism Spectrum.  I mentioned also my book and managed to sell a few copies which was good.

At the meeting, I mentioned my own personal struggles of having Asperger Syndrome and how more needs to be done to employ adults on the Autism Spectrum.  Of signifcant importance was my mention of Autism Works and how the Australasia region needs to come on board with this.  I spoke adults from around the world that I am in contact with and how many of them have helped by standing together where they can.

I also mentioned the work of Damian Santomauro who is working in the area of Autism and who is on the Autism Spectrum. himself.  Damian is studying a PhD in Psychology.  One lady knew of a teenager who was 19 and I mentioned Damian to her as he is researching this demographic.  I also heard from one lady who is the club President who organises dogs for persons on the Autism Spectrum.  Many Aspies have an interest in dogs and animals.  Dr Temple Grandin for instance who works in the animal livestock industry is a person worthy of mention and is also Autistic.

I indicated that Australia scoring 27th as an OECD country is simply not good enough and something must be done.  I was asked why I chose to speak about Asperger Syndrome and indicated that if I don't people will never know just exacly how it affects an individual.  So in all it was an informative evening.  I hope to speak again at a future event.  I did receive a few questions at the end of my presentation about early intervention and whether or not enough is being done in schools.  I indicated that more support is required and I spoke about my own difficulties within main stream schooling.