Sunday, January 22, 2012

People just don't see it.

One of the biggest challenges having Asperger Syndrome is that people don't instantly see it.  Also there are the problems of supposedly 'exagerating' your symptoms. I find that with a lot of the adults I am in contact with on the Autism Spectrum that some are sadly 'regressing'.  They are not getting the help and understanding which they require and this causes them to withdraw into themselves.  

It is often dificult being told by others that you should stop talking about your special interests.  Australians seem very reluctant to embrace neuro diversity and furthermore eccentricity.  In my own life, it is hard to try and make people understand the Autism Spectrum without some form of 'tribalism'.  When I was younger I found it hard to express my needs and frustrations.  I found that the only way to get people to understand was to either remain silent or to self inflict misery upon myself somehow.

Even to this day I find myself confronting ignorance.  The world seems so harsh and inflexible for Aspies.  The cost of living makes things very expensive and there are very few or no services in Australia to assist those who are requiring help or specialist people.  I feel that often I am seen as some kind of trouble maker.  I have had issues with some forms of authority and have found myself inflexible with conventions that just don't seem to work.  It can be difficult.

I am outraged with Australia's poor standing of 21 and 27th in terms of disability support. The rock bottom score has lead me to lobby for greater support.  Please like the following page Improve Australia's Disability Support on Facebook.  More needs to be done to make people aware.   In Queensland, there is an election due at any moment.  I am concerned but I remain hopeful that things will get better.  Funding is required to support software testing for adults on the Autism Spectrum who find it difficult to obtain employment due to reasons of little tolerance and understanding.  As I have stated so many times, unemployment rates remain high in adults on the Autism Spectrum and with more adults being diagnosed, something needs to be done.

The Autism Spectrum remains an invisible condition.  A great deal awareness is still required.  Adults on the Autism Spectrum struggle often with communication skills and most are largely in social isolation.  Things really need to improve and society better understand.   I hope you can join with me in supporting me where you can and please also like my Facebook page Garry Burge Adult With Asperger Syndrome as I continually stand up for Autism in adults in Australia and abroad.