I speak as a layman about Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Psychiatrists but I wonder if their approach to mental health needs to be changed? It seems to me and again I speak as a layman that both Australia and New Zealand which have not very good treatment of mental health use largely this American based model. From observation it seems that when dealing with mental health that rather than relying on or implementing a more therapy based solution that doling out medications seems to be the solution. What concerns me as a person that has previously experienced mental health issues that some people may be being medicated for simply being lonely, or socially isolated etc when better counselling services and support could better deal with the situation.
I have in the past experienced high anxiety levels and social isolation. Instead of having people to simply listen or provide support, I have instead found a populace largely unaware or simply cold or alienated from the problem. Recently there has been vast work undertaken by Professor Patrick McGorry who has a blog which he regularly updates on the work he is doing in Australia. I have been in contact with Professor McGorry about some of the concerns I have with mental health which can be a secondary symptom to Asperger Syndrome and he has agreed with some of my findings that we are simply medicating people who may be lonely or socially isolated.
I really have been pleased to have seen recent television commericals raising vital awareness of mental health in Australia, however there is still a very long way to go. We lose people to suicide because the mechanisms of society seem to be breaking down and I wonder why Australia and New Zealand seem to rely on this American based model, especially the DSMV. Again I am just looking into material more and more.
I have exposure to mental health issues working in Autism Advocacy in adults. I know of several who are not getting counselling and services which they greatly need to assist them in overcoming a lot of issues affecting them. I know myself when I was depressed and visiting a GP only to be prescribed medication with limited instruction and finding this medication only providing a band aid solution to the problem. Also I have heard from a couple of friends who are doctors who have informed me that within their training there is limited exposure to mental health and Autism based awareness. Surely things need to improve? Are we really medicating people who are just lonely, anxious or socially isolated as society cannot deal with the so called problem? Surely a review can happen and if there is a more treatment/therapy based UK model, then the RANZCP can adopt it? Please feel free to post your comments to my youtube presentation on this subject and changes to the DSMV.
I have in the past experienced high anxiety levels and social isolation. Instead of having people to simply listen or provide support, I have instead found a populace largely unaware or simply cold or alienated from the problem. Recently there has been vast work undertaken by Professor Patrick McGorry who has a blog which he regularly updates on the work he is doing in Australia. I have been in contact with Professor McGorry about some of the concerns I have with mental health which can be a secondary symptom to Asperger Syndrome and he has agreed with some of my findings that we are simply medicating people who may be lonely or socially isolated.
I really have been pleased to have seen recent television commericals raising vital awareness of mental health in Australia, however there is still a very long way to go. We lose people to suicide because the mechanisms of society seem to be breaking down and I wonder why Australia and New Zealand seem to rely on this American based model, especially the DSMV. Again I am just looking into material more and more.
I have exposure to mental health issues working in Autism Advocacy in adults. I know of several who are not getting counselling and services which they greatly need to assist them in overcoming a lot of issues affecting them. I know myself when I was depressed and visiting a GP only to be prescribed medication with limited instruction and finding this medication only providing a band aid solution to the problem. Also I have heard from a couple of friends who are doctors who have informed me that within their training there is limited exposure to mental health and Autism based awareness. Surely things need to improve? Are we really medicating people who are just lonely, anxious or socially isolated as society cannot deal with the so called problem? Surely a review can happen and if there is a more treatment/therapy based UK model, then the RANZCP can adopt it? Please feel free to post your comments to my youtube presentation on this subject and changes to the DSMV.