Thursday, December 15, 2011

Exercise and making out

I have recently taken to running. Several other Aspies also run and I find it a great way to reduce anxiety.  I feel physically good because I find my cardio vascular is put to the test and anxiety is greatly reduced.  I like the way I can feel my heart beat, my lungs expand and my breathing better controlled.  Anxiety creates a lot of shallow breathing and stretching my lungs helps to reduce a lot of tension and helps me to breathe better.

Now I am going to discuss the difficulties of having limited or poor social networks.  Even though I am employed and one of the few adults in employment, I still struggle with forming friendships and entering relationships.  I have no friends that I can confide in when it comes to talking about dating, what is involved etc. I  know you probably think I sound kind of weird but I think Aspies have a great deal more of a struggle because our inward thinking makes it hard for us to talk like regular people do about women, friendships etc.  I think male Aspies struggle a great deal more with relationships because we simply lack the social networks.  Often our siblings or friends simply are not there or we find it hard to express or communicate our feelings and t thoughts around them.  At times it can be even more difficult for adults on the Autism Spectrum.  Often it is just about impossible to keep friendships because you simply do not know what is in the other person's mind or what they are thinking.

I find some strategies for me are to keep learning and trying to get on with other people.  Try to avoid just only being around Aspies but with others also. Look at the difficulties or faults of other Aspies and try and avoid these in myself.  Often mental exhaustion can be confused for laziness but it is important to know and establish boundaries.  I find it saddening when some adults tend to vent their anger and frustration onto me.  I really do not understand this when I am like them and try to help them.  Over the years some adults have either attacked me verbally or chosen to cease communication quite simply for reasons unknown.

For male Aspies the main problems I think are poor social networks and like mental health services are sadly lacking.  An Aspie guy may like a woman or some other person but simply just not know or have friends or other people to talk with about approaches, feelings etc.  I have known of some men on the Autism Spectrum actually crying because they liked some woman but she did not understand them and I felt powerless to know what to do.  I have the same struggles but not all adults are interested in relationships.  Quite simply in the male Aspie population I know of men and I am a man myself so I am advocating for guys on the spectrum who simply want to a relationship or a chance at love.  Quite simply nothing exists and support and services are sadly lacking.

Keeping fit is important for anyone but I think more Aspies could exercise quite frankly.  Exercise changes mood and can lift you out of depression also.  Simply working out and exercising can make a great deal of difference to a peron's life.  I keep pushing myself socially also as I really don't want to be trapped by this condition in me for the rest of my life.  Everyone is different though so what I say may not apply to all.