Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Giving help where help counts

Recently I have come into contact with more adults on the Autism Spectrum.  I know of some who like many other people struggling simply would like a job.  I admire their perserverance and dedication in not giving up in looking for employment and I try to assist them where I can.  It is good to also know that I am looked up to by some younger "Aspies" with one recently saying to me that it was good to know someone older who could help guide and assist through some of the difficult times that lay ahead.

Adults on the Autism Spectrum often need encouragement and nurturing.  Unfortunately some try very hard but services are bad lacking and I feel at a loss as I am unable to help.  I recall the stories of some adults on the Autism Spectrum who I tried to help in the past but sadly things ended.  Help was not available and it was hard to get through to them of where they may need some adjustment in their lives.

I have made friends with adults on and off the Autism Spectrum.  I have some Aspie friends and some non Aspie friends but I don't really like putting people into boxes.  Recently I caught up with some good friends which mind you I had to work hard to lay the foundations.  I feel with their help that I am moving forward but some Aspies have revealed to me the errors of my ways.  I also am aware of some of my deficits such as worrying and being concerned about others when sometimes I have to stop myself from going under.

Recently an Aspie friend I have applied for a job but sadly this friends lost out on the job.  I send don't give up and keep trying. The friend now does volunteer work and I am proud of this friend in not giving up!  Another is going to put in an application as a software tester here in Australia.  Things are moving a long well.  Finally things are moving forward and not backward.

As an Aspie myself I am learning within my own work environment of the need to get on with people.  Not all non Autistic people set out to make life difficult for us.  In fact some of them try to help us but it is just difficult when you cannot see the errors of your own ways.  I have been fortunate to have had help from people within work environments who have helped assist me to where I am today.  So giving help where help counts is always important!