This morning I visited a Buddhist Temple with a friend from Ecuador. Here is a youtube video link of me explaining my visit.
Despite being a bit early, the people were friendly once I got to meet them. You don't need to wear a robe to become a Buddhist, nor do you need to convert to any kind of religion. All you need to do is just visit and make the most of the event.
When I visited I was greeted by friendly Buddhist people. Firstly they prepared food on a table and everyone got a plate of one food and placed this on their plate. As the Buddhist monk comes past, everyone places a small portion of what is on their plate into the monk's bowl. For me I gave him rice. The monks then have to eat prior to 12pm and those gathering sit together and enjoy the food which has been offered also.
Having done this, we all entered the Buddhist Temple and it is courtesy to bow to Buddha 4 times and then to the monk. People just listen to the monk as he welcomes everyone more or less and then sings a few relaxing chants. Also the smell of incents can be noticed. It is a very peaceful environment.
Shoes are taken off prior to the temple visit and also people are encourage to free their minds of stresses, anxieties and the outside world. Another youtube video may explain it more thoroughly
What I enjoyed about visiting the Temple and in Buddhism is that it focuses on mediation and the inner mind. Rather than on body, Buddhism focuses on maintaining a healthy mind. A person is encouraged to think calmly and not think ill of others etc. Being in the temple also you are encouraged to let go of the world that exists around us. You don't think about material objects which really only make people unhappy but more so on your inner mind.
I was able to also to ask questions as well as others to the monk. The monk was German by the way. People were friendly and everybody seemed warm and caring. I didn't feel self concious nor judged. I think and would encourage anyone whether they be Aspie, Christian etc to visit a temple as it is a great way of freeing your mind. I know that Chris Mitchell has also written a book called "Taking Refuge in Buddha". Chris is an adult on the Autism Spectrum. Also there is a focus on controlling negativity and anxiety etc which a lot of Aspies suffer from.
Despite being a bit early, the people were friendly once I got to meet them. You don't need to wear a robe to become a Buddhist, nor do you need to convert to any kind of religion. All you need to do is just visit and make the most of the event.
When I visited I was greeted by friendly Buddhist people. Firstly they prepared food on a table and everyone got a plate of one food and placed this on their plate. As the Buddhist monk comes past, everyone places a small portion of what is on their plate into the monk's bowl. For me I gave him rice. The monks then have to eat prior to 12pm and those gathering sit together and enjoy the food which has been offered also.
Having done this, we all entered the Buddhist Temple and it is courtesy to bow to Buddha 4 times and then to the monk. People just listen to the monk as he welcomes everyone more or less and then sings a few relaxing chants. Also the smell of incents can be noticed. It is a very peaceful environment.
Shoes are taken off prior to the temple visit and also people are encourage to free their minds of stresses, anxieties and the outside world. Another youtube video may explain it more thoroughly
What I enjoyed about visiting the Temple and in Buddhism is that it focuses on mediation and the inner mind. Rather than on body, Buddhism focuses on maintaining a healthy mind. A person is encouraged to think calmly and not think ill of others etc. Being in the temple also you are encouraged to let go of the world that exists around us. You don't think about material objects which really only make people unhappy but more so on your inner mind.
I was able to also to ask questions as well as others to the monk. The monk was German by the way. People were friendly and everybody seemed warm and caring. I didn't feel self concious nor judged. I think and would encourage anyone whether they be Aspie, Christian etc to visit a temple as it is a great way of freeing your mind. I know that Chris Mitchell has also written a book called "Taking Refuge in Buddha". Chris is an adult on the Autism Spectrum. Also there is a focus on controlling negativity and anxiety etc which a lot of Aspies suffer from.