Friday, November 18, 2011

Updates on software testing progress

This afternoon I met with Professor Paul Stropper from the University of Queensland Head, School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering and Dr Kelvin Ross from K J Ross & Associates  concerning software testing.  Also an adult on the Autism Spectrum was briefly in attendance.  


The meeting was very intense and I finally had the chance to use my brain after 6 years of inactivity. At the meeting I discussed the highlights and benefits in employing an adult on the Autism Spectrum and also mentioned my knowing Chris Mitchell (Adult with Asperger Syndrome) and Peter MacDonald from Autism Works In the discussion which roughly went for just over an hour at the University of Queensland I discussed my visit to Autism Works and the need for the southern hemisphere, more so Australia to take on board software testing.  I informed both Kelvin and Paul the need for Brisbane to start the ball rolling as it is close also to the Asian, New Zealand and Western Australia markets.  I also suggested that contact be made with Peter MacDonald from Autism Works to find out if their model could be used here in Australia.

The meeting was very informative and it is hope that contact can be made with Peter MacDonald from Autism Works to get things rolling here.  The concern is that adults on the Autism Spectrum represent the highest unemployment stastics and many are simply unable to find employment.  Also 'specialist' people need to be utilised more so than sitting on a government pension with a substandard and lower quality of life.  I also discussed the benefits of employing an adult on the Autism Spectrum and have offered my services to learn software testing and provide advice to get things happening here.

The outcome of the meeting was very productive.  Next Tuesday afternoon I will be visiting K J Ross & Associates to personally find out what is involved with software testing and more importantly to provide a perspective as an adult on the Autism Spectrum.  Many advantages were discussed as delivering higher quality outcome in terms of organisations which use computer software such as the RTA in NSW (Roads and Traffic Authority) and other businesses both in Australia and in New Zealand.  What would be hopefully satisfactory is putting smiles on the faces or more so a better quality of life to those on the Autism Spectrum and more importantly future generations.  The overall projection would be as follows
  • I need to understand what is involved in software testing
  • Software and other resources need adjustment or formulation for person on the Autism Spectrum
  • Ways of utilising and obtaining maxium performance for adults on the Autism Spectrum concerned
  • University of Queensland to offer expression of interests for testing to see how adults with Autism go
  • I also indicated working in the UQ Library for 6 years shelving books properly in Library of Congress Classification so mindset for errors.
Of course this approach is jumping off the deep end but I am concerned about the many adults on the Autism Spectrum who could have a better quality of life than simply sitting on a government payment.  More importantly why are not good minds being utilised to their full potential?  This is all experimental at this stage but I am trying my best to play a part in providing jobs and better quality service delivery by those who could contribute so much more than existing in a current void or in a negative stigma or stereotype.  

I will keep you posted with developments and what I learn next Tuesday afternoon when I visit KJ Ross & Associates at their Spring Hill Office.

Regards
Garry Burge

www.garryburge.com

Please help Autism Spectrum Australia as an adult on the Autism Spectrum by completing their survey for adults on the Autism Spectrum