Thursday, November 17, 2011

Being held back by social barriers

Any social situation is confusing but it is even more confusing when you are on the Autism Spectrum.  Within employment I find most if not all of my energy being focused on getting through the day and the work which is required of me.  Performing new tasks can be especially challenging.  This is more so because I need to find a routine or pattern in order to undertake them.  My employment history has not been one where I have worked for multiple employers.  In fact in the very few jobs I have been in, it has been the social setting which has caused me the most confusion.  Within some jobs, I have summed up the people from a distance and sadly I  have experienced some who are potential bullies or people who are difficult to get on with.  I find the stronger personality type the most difficult. Usually the person has an ego about them or some kind of 'dodgy' personality.

Now to get to the main thrust of my argument.  In employment I struggle socially.  Concentrating on given tasks requires not if all of my energy.  It is difficult when a person asks you to 'drop what you are doing' to suddenly do some other job. My mind tends to think "what about the other job I have asked to drop?"  "Who will finish it?" Also I find a workplace mainly desired in a way that tends to largely focus on a person's social ability.  It is like the fabric of the organisation requires communication to allow allocation of work, work flow, job tasks and more importantly direction.  If a supervisor is not clear in direction, then I have usually had to rely on my intelligence to try and problem solve. As you can imagine this becomes exhausting.

I have always noticed that within employment, those with the greater social abilities are usually the ones that get promoted.  Also I have noticed that if you encounter stress and need longer to learn tasks, that usually you don't get a chance.  It is hard within employment to mention your strenghts and weakeness as you are told you put yourself down more so than an understanding ear which can try to listen and explain.  Within employment, especially job interviews not understanding the social barriers can cause difficulty.  I have found myself more than often being held back within employment.  I simply just exist in a hole and others are moved around me.  It is hard to stand up for your rights when you appear as a trouble maker and have few or if anyone to actually support you. I just find it hard to explain to people around me without having to be defensive where I need help.  I also feel at times that my life is going nowhere, I have few friends and feel largely alone the majority of the time.  How is a person therefore with Autism held back by social barriers?  Perhaps my experiences and questions above will hopefully start to enlighten you on such matters?

National Autistic Society video please watch National Autistic Society