Wednesday, November 16, 2011

How much is enough contact?

I often or rather I say sometimes hear from other adults on the Autism Spectrum wanting to contact me and to talk about their experiences.  However, I really do not have the energy to talk and often I am disappointed with the lack of availability of services and support to help with communication.  I can remember with some adults I knew that I found it hard to know how much or how little I should be in contact with them.  Recently due to stress I have had to end communication with some adults because I am unable to communicate on a daily basis.  I find skype very tiring and more importantly I cannot speak for long periods.  When I have spoken on skype and webcamed, I have found too much communication draining and I have had had to cease communication with persons on the Autism Spectrum from skype as a coping mechanism.

I try to visit adults on the Autism Spectrum when I go abroad but really I cannot communicate on a daily basis and I find skype and msn draining to be honest.  Even email can be difficult as sometimes reciprocation does not always occur and I cannot do other people's thinking for them.  Unfortunately some adults on the Autism Spectrum implode because they cannot handle communication.  I cannot help but more so suggest that they visit Dr Tony Attwood's website www.tonyattwood.com.au as a source of information and communication.  Adults on the Autism Spectrum need to take into consideration the conference being held in Australia by Asperger Services Australia www.asperger.asn.au At this conference adults on the Autism Spectrum are provided with an opportunity to meet other adults and to talk about the challenges and achievements they have undertaken in their lives.  For more information about next year's conference this can be found on the website of Asperger Services Australia above.

From personal experience I believe Aspies do not handle rejection well, especially if it is from another Aspie but in my own case, I cannot handle people who really can get professional help elsewhere but to still make contact where they can.  I am interested to know of any achievements adults on the Autism Spectrum encounter and through my website www.garryburge.com I can be contacted.   I think Aspie to Aspie friendship can have intensity issues as well as rumination.  Also there can be sabotage where the Aspie may use mechanisms to end or cut off a friendship.  As stated earlier better services are required to assist the adult population.  Does an Aspie care if another Aspie goes under (stress wise) which can sometimes happen?

Contact is important between adults as well as friendships but too much contact can be a problem.  In reviewing contact on skype, facebook or msn I find it best to minimise contact but it is good to see adults trying to have a go in improving their lives.  It is good to hear from adults who seriously want to better themselves and look for a job or improve their lives etc.  I also think blogs are a good way for other adults to communicate and it would be great to see more of them.  Anyhow what level of contact is best between adults on the Autism Spectrum?