Sunday, October 23, 2011

As an Aspie I find communication difficult.  The problem mainly is due to people not really being able to understand or assist where necessary.  I have found in some instances that communication can be damaged just because an external person has not always been there to intervene or help. In terms of relationships or friendships, sometimes a lack of communication or intervention may cause for an interaction to be broken or severed.  I think for Aspies that we hate rejection and being dropped as friends etc.  Often the non Autistic population or some Aspies themselves just don't really know how to deal with an interaction or more importantly provide some means of support to prevent an area of difficulty.

Some years ago I knew one Aspie who insisted that driving a car caused omissions into the atmosphere. I drove this Aspie to an event for an Autism association and he kept telling me that driving a car was not good, parking was too expensive and I was given a briefing on this.  I felt frustrated as I could not tell him to stop going on about this as it was stressing me out when I was driving.  I just put up with it and shortly thereafer communication was lost.  If only someone had been there to attempt to explain both his and my position.

Now if you think of relationships it is much more difficult.  Aspie men simply are not given ample time to actually be known to someone of the opposite sex without jumping through a series of loops and hurdles.  It is just difficult.  Perhaps adult services can assist us Aspies develop a lighter side and be able to communicate without being so stilted and often literal.  Communication is just difficult and interaction for us can often just be hard work. I have lost many friends due to my own intensity issues.  It is just a matter of finding effective strategies to deal with these.

What are your thoughts?  How do you find communication as an Aspie or relating to an Aspie?