Saturday, October 29, 2011

Being realistic

It is necessary to have a realistic outlook in the world and to understand that the world is not going to change overnight.  Over the past weeks I am trying to improve on my weak areas and furthermore improve where I can my social skills.  This in itself can be difficult.

Yesterday I received back my Recognition and Development where I work within the library.  It will be interesting to see how things develop if they do over the coming months.

Acceptance and understanding of the Autism Spectrum it seems will not happen over night but over many months and years.  For attitudes to change it will require education and trying to resist or take on any form of militancy will not clearly get anyone anywhere in trying to change things.  I feel I have reached a pinnacle of what I can do. I have written a book and I have tried to provide awareness where I can.  I also have tried to help other persons on the Autism Spectrum but really they need to make their own effort to improve their lives.

Change does not happen overnight and it takes years of commitment, hardwork and determination.  In all honesty the Autism Spectrum is an ongoing battle but it can only be won or overcome by slowing chipping away.

I am going to try again to be understand the world from an non Autistic viewpoint but this in itself will be challening.  I must be honest in that I find many adults on the Autism Spectrum somewhat selfish, introspective and ungrateful.  They take and never give.  They have to realise that the world is not centred around them and that many of them really need to try harder and get a job.  They may not like having to work but how many of us do?   It is important to also surround yourself with healthy people.

In Australia the NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme) is underway and hopefully some changes may happen soon but we can only wait and see?