I was asked once the question "What would you want to see as a work environment that would suit the needs of adults on the Autism Spectrum?". Let me begin slowly by addressing this question thoroughly and best from my own personal accounts and experience.
Firstly I believe the current work environment seems to discriminate against the person on the Autism Spectrum. As I have stated previously the interview process in itself tends to judge a person's ability on the day more so than their ability to do the job. This process may be the appropriate means by which to employ a regular person but for an adult on the Autism Spectrum immediate discrimination begins. A difficulty in not knowing the necessary body language and social skills places the Autistic Person in an immediate disadvantaged and it also alienates them from a process which places and appoints a person on merit and experience. In a work environment that employs Aspies I think modifications are required to the interview and selection process to allow the person on the Autism Spectrum to be placed in employment on their abilities.
The second and most important point is to have supervisors and managers trained in understanding the Autism Spectrum. This helps with work flow, communication difficulties and just helps with the general allocation and performance of abilities and job demands. Effective and professional management need to also ensure and guard against bullying, discrimination and exploitation of persons who are on the Autism Spectrum especially. Too often adults cannot hold down a job or fear speaking up because of the fear of job security and the possibility of serious repercussions. A manager needs to ensure that they are aware of the existence of the employee on the Autism Spectrum and have regular communication with the person where necessary. As I have stated in the book I have written called "I Want To Work An Asperger Story" that Disability Employment Agencies need to come on board in understanding and providing support and services for adults on the Autism Spectrum within employment.
One of the things that personally sets me apart from non Autistic Persons is my ignorance and the difficulties I encounter with hierarchy. I often find hierarchy an inconvenience. I simply do not see the point in someone telling me what I need to do and a pyramid structure where someone is at the top of the pyramid in whom I am supposed to be controlled by or accountable too. I see my responsibility in performing my own duties within employment and I have discussed with Dr Tony Attwood who of course diagnosed me the very issues of hierarchy and how I think Aspies have difficulty with it. There is nobody as well known as myself who has constantly upset the hierarchical process for its inefficiency. I believe that within employment for Aspies that hierarchy needs to be done away with to allow a more conducive work structure that eliminates this so called inefficient process.
Not all adults on the Autism Spectrum want to be software testers. However what I need to point out is that it does offer a lot of potential in alleviating the unemployment of many adults on the Autism Spectrum. I believe the traditional working day of having to work 8 hours could be staggered. This system in itself again from personal experience is just simply draining. Why have a timesheet that records activities during the day? Why have money when really reward seems to have a longer and lasting impact? Non Autistic people seem to want to work for money whereas I would rather work for meaning, happiness and fulfillment? I am currently in a situation where I am working in a job which is well below my own abilities and my work abilities simply do not comply with a career path.
I would encourage any adult on the Autism Spectrum to ask themselves the question, "What would I like to do in a job?" Think long and hard about it and explore the possibilities which I have mentioned with Autism Works for instance www.autismworks.co.uk Would you like to see such a company come to your city, town or country which would provide you with meaningful employment?
Firstly I believe the current work environment seems to discriminate against the person on the Autism Spectrum. As I have stated previously the interview process in itself tends to judge a person's ability on the day more so than their ability to do the job. This process may be the appropriate means by which to employ a regular person but for an adult on the Autism Spectrum immediate discrimination begins. A difficulty in not knowing the necessary body language and social skills places the Autistic Person in an immediate disadvantaged and it also alienates them from a process which places and appoints a person on merit and experience. In a work environment that employs Aspies I think modifications are required to the interview and selection process to allow the person on the Autism Spectrum to be placed in employment on their abilities.
The second and most important point is to have supervisors and managers trained in understanding the Autism Spectrum. This helps with work flow, communication difficulties and just helps with the general allocation and performance of abilities and job demands. Effective and professional management need to also ensure and guard against bullying, discrimination and exploitation of persons who are on the Autism Spectrum especially. Too often adults cannot hold down a job or fear speaking up because of the fear of job security and the possibility of serious repercussions. A manager needs to ensure that they are aware of the existence of the employee on the Autism Spectrum and have regular communication with the person where necessary. As I have stated in the book I have written called "I Want To Work An Asperger Story" that Disability Employment Agencies need to come on board in understanding and providing support and services for adults on the Autism Spectrum within employment.
One of the things that personally sets me apart from non Autistic Persons is my ignorance and the difficulties I encounter with hierarchy. I often find hierarchy an inconvenience. I simply do not see the point in someone telling me what I need to do and a pyramid structure where someone is at the top of the pyramid in whom I am supposed to be controlled by or accountable too. I see my responsibility in performing my own duties within employment and I have discussed with Dr Tony Attwood who of course diagnosed me the very issues of hierarchy and how I think Aspies have difficulty with it. There is nobody as well known as myself who has constantly upset the hierarchical process for its inefficiency. I believe that within employment for Aspies that hierarchy needs to be done away with to allow a more conducive work structure that eliminates this so called inefficient process.
Not all adults on the Autism Spectrum want to be software testers. However what I need to point out is that it does offer a lot of potential in alleviating the unemployment of many adults on the Autism Spectrum. I believe the traditional working day of having to work 8 hours could be staggered. This system in itself again from personal experience is just simply draining. Why have a timesheet that records activities during the day? Why have money when really reward seems to have a longer and lasting impact? Non Autistic people seem to want to work for money whereas I would rather work for meaning, happiness and fulfillment? I am currently in a situation where I am working in a job which is well below my own abilities and my work abilities simply do not comply with a career path.
I would encourage any adult on the Autism Spectrum to ask themselves the question, "What would I like to do in a job?" Think long and hard about it and explore the possibilities which I have mentioned with Autism Works for instance www.autismworks.co.uk Would you like to see such a company come to your city, town or country which would provide you with meaningful employment?