I thought I would provide an update concerning Aspergers@UQ Aspergers@UQ is progressing steadily now and with a regular attendance on a fortnightly basis, we are starting to have a presence within the UQ environment. Damian Santamauro who is undertaking very important research and who is also on the Autism Spectrum is attending our meetings as well as some other adults. The question is sometimes asked, "Does a person need to be a student or member of staff to attend?" The answer to this question is no for any adult can attend. Over the coming weeks it is my hope that we can put together a letter to again approach the University of Queensland to find a room for us to meet on campus. This of course is going to take a lot of work!
Aspergers@UQ has been running for about 4 years now and has ebbed and flowed with membership. The group obtain inquiries but to set the stone in place for the longer term we need somewhere to meet on campus away from noise, sensory issues and also a place where board games and general discussion can occur in a non threatening environment. Adults on the Autism Spectrum often feel overwhelmed in the university environment. Just finding lecture rooms, attending tutorials and obtaining understanding from academic supervisors and staff can be daunting. Why should persons on the Autism Spectrum be placed in a disadvantage once again when with help and support they can overcome difficulties? I am willing to offer advice and support for adults in dealing with a university environment for I was once a student at university and I knew all too well of the challenges and difficulties within such an environment.
This is only a short post but for more information about Aspergers@UQ please visit my website www.garryburge.com and be sure to contact me should you have any queries or concerns.
Regards
Garry Burge
Aspergers@UQ has been running for about 4 years now and has ebbed and flowed with membership. The group obtain inquiries but to set the stone in place for the longer term we need somewhere to meet on campus away from noise, sensory issues and also a place where board games and general discussion can occur in a non threatening environment. Adults on the Autism Spectrum often feel overwhelmed in the university environment. Just finding lecture rooms, attending tutorials and obtaining understanding from academic supervisors and staff can be daunting. Why should persons on the Autism Spectrum be placed in a disadvantage once again when with help and support they can overcome difficulties? I am willing to offer advice and support for adults in dealing with a university environment for I was once a student at university and I knew all too well of the challenges and difficulties within such an environment.
This is only a short post but for more information about Aspergers@UQ please visit my website www.garryburge.com and be sure to contact me should you have any queries or concerns.
Regards
Garry Burge