Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Many hands make light work

Over the coming months I intend to keep busy.  My main focus will be on ensuring that software testing for adults on the Autism Spectrum soon becomes a reality.  With the alarming unemployment rates amongst the Autistic Adult population, something needs to be done!  I hear constantly from adults, friends and family who are frustrated by governments not listening and more importantly employers who seem unwilling to accommodate those wanting a job.

I also have pleasure in welcoming on board friend and new colleague Brett Fallen.  I have been in contact with Brett who lives in New Zealand for approximately a week.  As well as being a good friend, Brett is keen to assist me with my advocacy work both here in Australia and abroad.  Although Brett's duties are limited at this stage and I am unable to pay him, Brett is happy to assist me as a volunteer in my advocacy work.  He is editing my blog and putting a personal touch to the blog over time to help give it impact and relevance to where it needs awareness the most.  Brett has also shown some interest in helping me collate contact information for Software and IT Companies in Australia and abroad.

A couple of days ago I emailed Peter MacDonald from Autism Works. I expressed to Peter the frustration experienced here in Australia of simply struggling to provide hope for adults on the Autism Spectrum to obtain a job.  I know Peter MacDonald and Chris Mitchell are very busy at the moment with the work they are doing for Autism Works www.autismworks.co.uk but I have to keep the home fires burning.  The Australian Federal Government just seems to not be listening.  I am at a loss to really know what to do.  I am hoping that things will turn around soon.  Over the coming weeks I intend to contact Information Technology and Software Testing Companies in Australia.  I intend as best I can to raise their awareness of the work being undertaken by Autism Works, Specialisterne and Aspiritech.  Although my efforts may prove difficult, Australia really needs to come on board.  We need in this country a software testing company for adults on the Autism Spectrum to obtain meaningful and lasting employment.  This of course needs to extend overseas as well.  All I can do is try and do my best.

To start any business hard work needs to begin somewhere.  The foundation stone needs to be laid and this I have done.  It is hard when you don't receive any funding but because I self fund my own advocacy work I am able to at least have some impact in the wider community.  I have written now to Rotary International Australia and even Sixty Minutes here in Australia to help raise awareness of the work I do.  I am still awaiting a response if any but it is worth a go. I just have to do something!   I have also been in contact with Alex Hawke MP via Twitter and Alex Hawke has informed me that he at some stage tends to ask the current Australian government some serious questions about the findings of the Australian Disability Productivity Commission of which I provided input as an adult on the Autism Spectrum.

Things are moving a long at a steady pace at the moment and we just need to ensure more important developments begin to emerge.  Clearly 12% of adults on the Autism Spectrum is unacceptable as the vast majority simply want a job!   They want structure and meaning in their lives and the government and the wider community simply have to listen.  Please stay tuned for further updates.