Saturday, July 2, 2011

What exactly are services for adults and how can these be implemented?

To answer what the needs are for adults on the Autism Spectrum the services may vary from person to person. What is urgent however is a need for access to a support worker or counselor who is both aware and trained in their understanding of Autism. Across the globe services are either strong or they are non existent. Some adults live in cities within total isolation, feel alone, depressed and simply want access to someone to talk to and help them in times of need. The most crucial and important thing to factor in is the needs of the adult concerned. Maybe they want a lot of support or they may just need help with a day to day function or to attend a special interest which they enjoy.

What deeply concerns me is that lack of intervention and communication severely effects social skills development and unfortunately a lack of support fuels the symptoms of increased anxiety and social withdrawal. Aspies are not all anti social it is just that we struggle socially and may find certain situations very difficult. For adults who exist on their own advocacy on their own part in raising awareness of Autism is not impossible. It is essential that they try and connect with other adults globally and see advice as to how and where advocacy can begin.

In Australia, an Autism Bill would ensure that having been passed into law that it is the responsibility of government to provide services to adults where necessary. It is a matter of a service or indeed a support worker to work with the adult and to discuss needs. In my own situation day to day functioning is difficult in terms of socialising and implementing a lighter side. I also get stressed with the limited public transport options available and don't want to have to drive a car just to get around. Just someone to go with to see a historical exhibition, attend a function or just help with overcoming some anxiety issues would be of tremendous help. I do have some services within the University of Queensland and I will be seeing a counselor next Tuesday afternoon. I just find at times that I really need someone to talk to about understanding the world around me and just being able to listen.

Autism associations need to focus more so on the evolutionary process of a person with Autism. Adults should not be forgotten and future generations of children need to learn from adults on the Autism Spectrum. Speaking events are not just for the talented but any adult with Autism can speak and provide valuable information to deal with the many difficulties associated with specific or individual needs.

I am saddened when I travel the globe to meet other adults living in town or cities feeling isolated, lonely and depressed. I feel powerless that I am unable to help them and I am at a loss to know where I can help. I have to be selfish to keep myself in good health but living in social isolation is no fun. Day to day function can be difficult and simply not having friends or like minded people can seriously escalate anxiety levels.

I will be talking with Dr Tony Attwood this Thursday afternoon. I will mention to him my visit to Autism Works, my meetings with the adults in the United Kingdom and Ireland. I will continue to work where necessary to see vast improvements in services for adults and children with Autism when called upon. It gets harder as you get older and often sadly adults with Autism withdraw as people just do not know the basics of including them within conversation and simply trying to understand. I have been grateful to have helped other adults around the world and it is my hope that one day in my life time hopefully that a global summit may occur in Brisbane, Australia. It would be good if Dr Tony Attwood could attend. Although not all adults may be able to attend, submissions, skype conversations and attendance would allow for adults to have more of a united approach and bring forth support and services to areas on the globe which are missing out. Perhaps it is a dream but I can only try.

The need for services is complex but not impossible let us move forward and start taking action as fast as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment