I am going to give Cosmos Tours a positive wrap when I have traveled abroad. My first trip with them was in 2008 when I visited both the United States and Canada. Some years back I went to the South Island of New Zealand with a tour group called Connections and I did not enjoy the tour. I had to share with 3 other people and I found this very difficult. Not only was this the problem but the tour guide decided to drink too much alcohol and was unable to do the tour the next day. I did enjoy New Zealand's South Island and was amazed when I visited Christchurch and seeing an enormous tunnel on the South Island. I also wanted to fly by helicopter to the top of Mt Cook to walk on a glacier but unfortunately the weather was bad so the helicopter ride could not go ahead. I managed to see some green rocks also. I went with my parents a few years back and did the North Island of New Zealand and enjoyed this also. New Zealand is a great places and more people and I emphasize Australians need to see it!
In 2008 I wanted to visit America. I flew via New Zealand (Auckland) to arrive in San Francisco after a 12 hour flight. I remember seeing San Francisco as I went through the long process of American customs. It was cold, but it was knew. I remember thinking wow this place is something I have not seen before. Having then arrived at the San Francisco Hotel which was bare as bones, I was unable to stow my luggage and was given a flimsy key on an inch block of wood to take around with me. I wanted to see the Golden Gate Bridge and having walked some metres up a steep street my body was totally fatigued. I approached a coffee shop and went inside. Food was big time. Americans eat big and I wondered now what am I supposed to order? I finally ordered a meal after some time and became confused by tipping. Why do I have to tip when it seems so weird?? Anyhow I had one day and two nights in San Francisco and managed to see the Golden Gate Bridge and discover a local park with you guessed it Eucalypt Trees! Perhaps divine intervention may have occurred again in that a reminder of where I came from was evident? The morning I left San Francisco was dark, distances were in miles and a cranky Italian lady was on the shuttle bus. She was anxious about getting to the airport on time. Having once arrived at the airport myself I was overwhelmed by people and a man from Iran had about 6 suitcases with him. I found myself helping him and almost breaking my arm in the process. The flight to New York was 5 hours and 3 minutes. Across the Rockies and towns that I only could ever once read about. America has houses in the middle, I can see roads compared to desert in Australia! My American and Canadian trip in a nutshell was interesting despite my luggage being delayed and the $55 taxi trip from JFK to Manhattan. I texted a friend and I shuffled papers around in the back of the cab to find the exact location of my hotel. I finally got there and saw the streets of New York, the sounds of sirens and fire trucks. I was far from Australia but it was new and I soaked in the sense of excitement. Next day was to Boston, then to Canada, then back via Niagara Falls. Did an awesome flight over the falls despite the sensory issues that I just tried my hardest to contain. Then after that back to New York visiting the marmalade colour of the American landscape of foliage. Then onto Minnesota for a week's stay and then back to Australia via Las Vegas and out of Los Angeles.
In 2010 I visited Europe and saw many countries but not all. I also visited Spain and Portugal recently. I almost broke my leg in Oporto, Portugal but when I travel I ask for and pay more for the single room supplement. It was scary though almost breaking my leg in Oporto for I may either return to Australia in a wheelchair or worst of all with one leg! I then flew onto England. I caught up with good friends in Newcastle which I would encourage more Australians and New Zealanders to visit more so than London. I went to Edinburgh, Holland and also Ireland. I am able to travel on my own and driving through the streets of Belfast was no easy task either. I was far from Australia and friends in England but I managed to get through with the help of an Aspie to Enniskillen (sorry if misspelled). I then drove around Ireland in 5 days. The GPS broke down just outside of Belfast and I was anxious about getting back to England. I was at Belfast Airport all day virtually with a delayed flight to Newcastle but I got there eventually. Next day back to Australia and then home. Now my head is adjusting while my feet are in the antipodes. Travel is great and more Aspies need to do it. It is a truly cognitive growing experience. I hope more Aspies will be able to travel. I hope to visit Berlin one day and China. I just need to accrue more leave and for now it is just a matter of getting back to Australia and doing the mundane tax return and paying the boring bills. For those of you interested no I could not find the castle in Ireland near Enniskillen called Irvine Castle but at least I was in the territory. Needed someone to help me but being on my own I could only do my best.
Cosmos Tours are worthwhile for Aspies and people want to travel on a budget. Although they are a bit out of town, they provide good tour guides and help you get around a country within a reasonable budget. I would like to travel with some Aspies but unfortunately not many have the opportunity or seem stressed about making the commitment. There is also passport control and the anxiety of handling the airport terminals. It almost knocked me out last time. I hope to write a book one day about traveling as an Aspie but I need people to like this post and large numbers to persuade me to do so.
I also visited Trinity College in Dublin and met Claire who runs the Trinity College Aspie group in Dublin. I also met with David who runs the adult group in Dublin. One day I hope to attend again. I also hope to visit the New Zealand Adult Group and some in the USA and Canada. More visits will happen just a matter of interest.
No comments:
Post a Comment