This afternoon I met with a friend at UQ and discussed with this friend travel experiences both he did and I did myself. While talking with him, it was very positive as I had someone I could talk to who is also curious and interested to also know about the Autism Spectrum. I spoke with this friend about the traveling I did myself and also asked him where he had been. I also talked about other issues concerning the country and what countries he visited. He has suggested that I also try and connect with the multi faith chaplaincy at UQ and has offered to help put me in touch with them.
As people on the Autism Spectrum struggle with not always being understood it is necessary that boundaries are made obvious. This friend advised me that I cannot always catch up with him as he has a busy work schedule but has made it clear of times when he is free to meet up on campus and to talk. It makes it easier when people, especially friends are more upfront than not bothering with you at all. It is also encouraging that he talks with friends and family in trying to understand Autism better. Some of the topics I also discussed with this friend were why some people are Atheist and others Agnostic.
As an Aspie building social networks is important. As relationships are very difficult to find, it is important to have people who can try and help you where they can. I am fortunate to have some friends and I am seeing another friend this weekend and have spoken to another on msn. I also have some supportive people where I work also. Amongst my other friends are some Aspies I know on Facebook and some that I meet at UQ. Having a social network is important because without it, people on the Autism Spectrum can be very lonely. Unfortunately though I cannot help all Aspies as I am trying my best to keep on top of my life.
When I met with the friend this afternoon, he asked me what I am trying to achieve with raising awareness of the Autism Spectrum? I told him that I am concerned about future generations and it is important that we get awareness out there. I feel concerned that without awareness that persons on the Autism Spectrum will be misunderstood and have a lower quality of life. The friend also asked me why was the Autism Spectrum different to other disabilities. My response is that people do not see Autism and it is a stand alone disability. It affects a person socially and the person on the Autism Spectrum is more vulnerable to mental illness.
I hope to catch up with more friends soon. I find I get hurt easily with dating websites for even if I do manage to make contact with a woman on it that usually it does not last long. I then find myself feeling deflated and not getting anywhere. For Aspies the whole dating process is deflating in itself and there exists very rare or no services at all. I really need to focus on understanding boundaries and building social networks. I have found that some adults are hard to keep as friends on the Autism Spectrum because they tend to take things I say very literally or I have a falling out with them because they cannot see both sides of a situation. I do get on with some adults though but also realise I need non Autistic friends also. Aspies need to learn to get on with NT's for without them life is difficult and we struggle more. I know one Aspie who has good social networks and he never responds to my messages on Facebook. I know he is in the background and perhaps has his own issues to deal with. I am encouraged by the fact that more information now exists on the Autism Spectrum so people can read and understand more but there is still a long way to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment