Currently UQ Library is undergoing restructure and what makes things even worse is that the large volume of students on campus creates sensory overload. I find myself stuck between a rock and a hard post when I have to try and get around this. Just doing Check In duties twice a day can be very taxing. What happens in check in? As the University of Queensland Library has purchased a book sorting machine from Germany, it is taking some time for this book sorter to work properly. As well as this the book vending machine is also having to be rectified so that books can be sorted properly. I was in meltdown yesterday and asked the supervisor if I could be taken off Check In. I felt in meltdown and if placed in that area, I just felt I would not be able to cope.
The modern workplace is becoming more and more stressful because people expect more and the volume of users relying on the new library machines are greatly outweighing demand on the machines. I am constantly having to change sorting bins in the Check In Area and ensure that any stray books and holds have their hold's labels printed off and placed on the holds shelf in the High Use Area for library patrons to gather. The library is having significant issues with books showing available on the catalogue but unavailable when patrons want the books. The result is often stressed and sometimes angry library patrons wanting to know where books are and when these books will become available.
The Library of Congress caters for a large library collection. Unlike the Dewey Decimal System, the Library of Congress caters for continually expanding call numbers. As the expansion grows then it is obvious that system of control is required. Restructuring of a workplace often involves an element of misery because change can be both positive and alarming for anyone concerned. At times coming to work can be like a pressure pot. Just getting through the day and managing high levels of stress which triggers anxiety if not controlled can cause problems with mental function. I see the only way to handle and adapt to change and stress is to jettison some of the areas I cannot control. Often in Check In, searches are required for misconduct letters. This means all 4 floors need to have the shelves checked to ascertain for sure that books are missing from the library shelves. Within a library the biggest area of importance is ensuring books are on the shelves and all items are accessible to the public. In my current position which I have held for approximately 6 years, I am mainly involved with shelving library items, shelf checking and back shelving etc. I also undertake Check In which is behind the library loans desk. Since automation, this area has changed somewhat. UQ works on Hew Levels and a person is designated to a particular Hew level and cannot go beyond their duty statement for skills and duties. For instance my job involves manual handling but no computer work. Why I work part time is because OHWS (Occupational Health Work & Safety) issues have caused staff to have accidents if they work beyond 4 hours as work is manual handling. I hope one day to retire as I just don't think I can handle the stresses of working in and applying for higher level positions. People really don't understand what goes on in a library and they should really take the time to understand how a library, especially a university library really function.
How then does the modern library need to change?
There are many arguments for digitizing books. They last longer, more accessible, free up space etc. In my current role I think that Service Support Staff should undergo courses or training to prepare them for digitizing library books. If libraries do not look ahead then there are going to be issues with the transition into the digital age. I have a lot of ideas for what I call an interactive library but I feel held back by lacking qualifications in a neuro typical world. As long as there is focus on credentials more so than enthusiasm and initiative things will never change!
No comments:
Post a Comment