Thursday, July 28, 2011

Acting on my own counsel

As an adult on the Autism Spectrum I find I have to talk to myself about dealing with social situations and people around me. For instance, I need to try and safeguard myself from potential issues and dangers. I have to often double think which can also be difficult.

When I confront an issue or difficult situation it can often be very stressful and good people are not always around to safeguard you or warn you of apprising danger. In order to deal with this I have to rely on my intelligence to try and avoid difficulties which means that I miss out on the social queues altogether.

When I started to meet more Aspies, I realised I was not alone nor mad when they also talk to themselves. Some Aspies are known to actually have conversations with themselves and delve into intellectual curiosity behind closed doors. It is just the way our brains are wired. People may not always be around and most of us struggle with relationships. I am told that I have a lot of things going for me and that I am high functioning. Believe me this makes life harder! People cannot always see just exactly what I go through. I have to find the energy to drive myself to the very few social events I attend if I am able to. Having to deal with anxiety and not always knowing what to say and being mindful to not intentionally offend people can be a difficult task. In a lot of situations I find myself on the outer with people and wish that restaurants could provide ear plugs when the music is at a certain volume. It would be difficult because I could not hear what the other person is saying but having very sensitive hearing does make certain sounds very overwhelming.

As I stated in my recent post having supporting networks is essential for persons on the Autism Spectrum. This greatly assists with accessing the community and feeling less socially isolated.

No comments:

Post a Comment