Thursday, July 28, 2011

The difference between High Functioning Autism and Asperger Syndrome my interpretation

I have often wondered what the difference between high functioning Autism and Asperger Syndrome is. In my own opinion I think the separation is that high functioning Autism means that the person is able to function as best they can but they have more significant impairment with social interaction. For instance they internalise a lot of their thoughts and problems and may take things more literally than what an Aspie does. In a social situation a person with high functioning Autism may see things as more abstract. Whereas Aspies can communicate but in their own way, a person with high functioning Autism may just find the whole means of communication more difficult. They may find it harder to make an effort in being sociable and may struggle more within communication.

In adults whom I have suspected to be more high functioning Autism, I find they tend to be much harder to communicate with and often I may feel inclined to do their thinking for them which drains me. An adult with high functioning Autism may suffer and this is only my view point of course, greater social isolation and more difficulty in being able to obtain help and support. They may also struggle in accessing the wider community. Also does an adult with high functioning Autism talk to themselves as the greater majority of Aspies seem too? When talking with adults whom I have suspected to be high functioning I have noticed that they do not talk to themselves. They tend to have a more routine based life style and may have difficulty in some areas showing empathy. Perhaps an Aspie is able to understand areas of empathy whereas an adult with high functioning Autism may just simply not understand where empathy may be required?

To conclude if I was asked to state what I believe to be the difference between an adult with high functioning Autism and one with Asperger Syndrome. The characteristics are not clearly defined but I would tend to have it as a guess that the high functioning Autistic person would think more in abstract and have some difficulties in understanding areas of empathy whereas an Aspie can understand empathy if it is explained to them. Again this is only my point of view. I think a high functioning Autistic person struggles more in friendship in that sometimes they just don't get the finer detail and tend to take things more literally. Research into high functioning Autism and Asperger Syndrome in adults needs more investigation as I do believe there are unique characteristics which define them.

No comments:

Post a Comment