One of the challenges confronting adults on the Autism Spectrum is Independent Living. It can be very hard to allow for independent living because adults are unemployed, on low incomes or simply cannot afford the high rental fees paid to uncaring landlords or property owners. Therefore what can be done?
One suggestion I would like to raise is for a person on a disability pension to have access to a community worker or someone as in the case of Australia who is able to provide advice on living arrangements. With the necessary and essential funding from Autism Associations, property could be purchased in the form of town houses or other comfortable accommodation. This accommodation would be monitored by someone within the Autism Association to ensure that proper auditing and management occurs within the allotted property.
How can an adult on the Autism Spectrum be helped to find Independent Living?
It would be necessary for someone trained as in the case of Australia from Centrelink or another body. This person would meet with the parents and the adult on the Autism Spectrum and discuss affordability in terms of paying for the accommodation, living expenses etc. This accommodation would also need to be near the adult with Autism's work so that they do not have to run a car etc.
I believe Autism Associations need funding to support living arrangements for adults on the Autism Spectrum. Community or Public Housing just isn't up to par. Shared living arrangements also do not work either so what needs to be considered is what is the best and most affordable choice of living for an adult on the Autism Spectrum? Surely Autism Associations can receive funding to assist with this?
At present I am disadvantaged by my living arrangements for living with my elderly parents, I simply do not have the money or the income to live in comfortable accommodation or at least up to standard. I would instantly be penalised by having to pay high rent which more than likely would go into the pocket of some greedy landlord or property owner who doesn't give a stuff whether you have a disability or not! I am open to consultation should there be more questions concerning the issue of costs and rent etc. I think persons on low incomes or who have a disability are treated harshly penalised and provided with poor accommodation which means living at home and being with their parents as a strain is the only option. I also think it is unfair that low income single people are penalised by high rent or paying the costs of people on combined salaries or in relationships. Things need to change and change fast. Support for low income earners on single incomes and who are single need more support and access to better living arrangements to take the strain off elderly parents concerned or worried about their future. Governments need to listen and act fast on what will be a growing problem!
No comments:
Post a Comment