Monday, June 27, 2011

The Impenetrable bubble

Being in this world reminds me of being in an Impenetrable Bubble. I exist somehow as a human being but yet I largely exist within some kind of bubble where I can see and hear things around me but yet communicating with other people is an impossible task. People just don't get it. They fail to see how shallow their very existence is when they strive for things that just seem unobtainable or near impossible.

For some reason people don't seem to be able to handle what they don't want to handle. Either they have to destroy it, reject it or try and convert it. Now is this really what you would term 'man kind'? Also is it necessary for people to say "oh it is unfortunate that you were born with that, it must really affect you badly". I am beginning to understand that it is not me with the problem but other people who have the problem. They do not want to learn from Aspies but more so ignore or have nothing to do with us. It is their loss really. They are spineless and gutless not to try and understand that which they seem unable to comprehend.

As an Aspie increased social isolation is not healthy. It raises anxiety levels and furthermore it causes a greater fear amongst other people. It can be difficult to trust and often self talk can tend to create a further barrier between people with Autism and those who do not have it. Some years back I experienced severe meltdown. Nobody could see it but yet the anxiety was paralyzing. I honestly thought that death or being sedated would be the only way to cope. I could not walk properly as I was experiencing severe anxiety and people just remained cold and allusive. They just didn't seem to care!

We live in a world that is becoming smaller but yet we fail to acknowledge other people around us and sadly conversation and intelligent conversation seems something to avoid. People just seem afraid to stand out or think assertively for fear of attack or ridicule. Why is this happening?

I begin to question what is defined by 'insanity'. Perhaps the world at large is becoming insane and it is the Aspies who remain defiant and with our literal way of thinking we tend to avoid falling into the status quo. Why then should a person be ashamed to be an Aspie? I find some Aspies are really awesome to have as friends. It is like they are genuine and honest friends. They are reliable, say what they think and engage in meaningful conversation. With a non Aspie it seems that the impenetrable bubble exists. Most non Aspies you can never really understand, why they talk about insignificant things and what is the point of small talk? Aspies can roll off facts like a walking encyclopedia and I think this is awesome. How else can you find out about the latest statistics or the update collection of pencil sharpeners? What is it with non Autistics that they strive for a cure or want to change people to boring non Aspies? Can't Aspies not exist in Impenetrable Bubbles for heavens sake!

I wonder about Australia I really do. I think will things change here or am I just going around in circles? Perhaps I am mad and sometimes I wouldn't mind being in a monastery just to escape this confusing world. At least words and unclear communication would not be so confusing. Another Aspie is hoping to live in Australia and I hope that this becomes a reality. We need support here for adults to penetrate this complacent society. I wonder how many Aspies live in Impenetrable Bubbles?

No comments:

Post a Comment