Today I had a terrifying experience in that I almost experienced having a panic attack. The anxiety was so bad that I felt like the walls were caving in and I didn't know where I was and what to do. This happened while shelf reading in the library. I felt everything was becoming overwhelming and I tried to rely on deep breathing exercises to slow me down. I felt my insides turn into knots and I wondered how long I would last.
I kept saying to myself in my head "Look at what you have achieved!" and "You have done an awesome lot in the past 5 weeks". I find Australia has higher rates of mental illness because people do not communicate enough and look out for others who simply need some comfort or more importantly just someone to talk to. Why is it just so hard for someone to simply listen when you are stressed? It really helps just to have someone listen, and try and understand.
I am still experiencing somewhat of a culture shock since my return overseas. I am going back to the gym and trying my hardest to do cardio vascular work to increase my serotonin levels. Panic attacks are no fun and for the person that experiences one they can be debilitating. I hope that things return to normal soon but when nobody listens or even bothers to put out a hand of friendship or support I just feel alone. I am also going to start getting some counseling sessions in CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) at UQ and will try and look into meditation as a means of controlling anxiety.
No comments:
Post a Comment