Saturday, June 25, 2011

Helping others advocacy and taking Autism Advocacy Abroad

On my recent trip to the United Kingdom, I was fortunate to have met with some other adults on the Autism Spectrum. It was a good feeling to know and hear comments from other adults that I was the first person they met who also had Asperger Syndrome. What was also good was to hear comments that I am a friend to them compared to the reality of social isolation. I suffer social isolation myself largely as a result of finding day to day living taxing at times as well as the vast amounts of mental energy required just to try and communicate and be understood by people around me.

Settling back into Australia is not currently easy. I still find it difficult to overcome a great deal of social isolation and making friends is just about impossible. This is as a result of people with their conditioning not really understanding my own wiring. I can try harder as people say but will it really get me anywhere? Perhaps just into another meltdown or anxious state.

It is going to take several generations it seems to change the way people think and understand Autism. I have been in touch with Cheryl Gillan MP and contacted some Australian politicians in the hope that the Autism Bill passed by Cheryl Gillan may happen one day in this country. I think the NT population are obsessed at times with cures for Autism but never really take the time to get to know an Aspie. Why should we be treated like Lepers just because people don't always understand us? It is not entirely fair. Surely a mutual understanding between Aspie and Non Aspie is possible?

Going abroad has helped me by meeting other adults on the Autism Spectrum and to greatly alleviate to some extent social isolation. The problem still exists however of intolerance and ignorance. Hopefully things and times will change? I have encouraged some Aspies to visit Australia and in August I hope to be hosting an Aspie when he arrives here. Travel is good for Aspies as it makes us grow and jettison some of our introspection but there is still a long way to go before people understand us better. I would like to see some of the common perceptions removed and a greater understanding of the Autism Spectrum for now and the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment