Thursday, May 12, 2011

Does Autism Define Me?

I sometimes get asked the question. Does Autism define you? In response to such a question I am confident in saying that it does. I have tried in the past to overcome how it effects me and to try and change. This has left me feeling depressed and unhappy with myself and who I am as a person.

I find that people around me have more of an issue with me being Aspie than myself. Some people can be incredibly rude and think me stupid. No matter how hard and ignorant these people may be you know that telling them you have Autism is just a waste of time. I would be laughed at and ridiculed. Furthermore the haunting memories of being bullied again seem like a real possibility.

I cannot help the way I think and act. Trying to change a person with Autism to confirm is like trying to get an emu to fly. It is impossible unless some evolutionary measure can be implemented.

I believe all I can do is to keep writing. Keep getting my message out there until the majority of people understand. Abraham Lincoln said "God must have loved the common people, he made so many of them". This is true but there are other sectors of people within the community that can be encouraged to understand. Time is needed.

The biggest problem at present is the lack of services and support for adults on the Autism Spectrum and governments willing to do none to assist with the problem. Hopefully things will change. I know that I will continue as best I can to get the message out there and if people don't want to listen then that is their problem and not mine. I will keep writing until they do. I intend to also self publish other books and no longer hear from certain snobs calling me a write and not an author as in the case of the British National Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment