Thursday, January 27, 2011

Something needs to be done in Australia

As an Asperger Syndrome Advocate I hear from people constantly about how a family member, son, friend or person they know is affected by Asperger Syndrome. It is my hope and out of my own interest that I am able to meet with Cheryl Gillan MP who passed the Autism Bill in the United Kingdom in 2009. Although I am one person and perhaps my intention is largely impossible. It would be my hope to know personally what the Autism Bill has done and what services are provided to persons on the Autism Spectrum.

I have written to Cheryl Gillan MP in the hope that while in the United Kingdom in June of this year that I may be able to meet with her. I also believe that emphasis should be placed on the pioneering efforts of Autism Works. Both Chris Mitchell and Peter MacDonald are putting a great deal of time and effort into the hope of employing adults on the Autism Spectrum. Chris especially has done a great deal of advocacy in the United Kingdom as I have tried to in Australia, and we need to wish him and Peter well as they move forward with their good work.

I talk to families who are at breaking point and Asperger adults who want a job and simply cannot get one. I feel it is my calling to try and help them where possible. I can only try my best and this is all I can do. I will write more updates later but this is just some news for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment