Thursday, January 27, 2011

How I interpret the world

I have always had an interest in Philosophy and Psychology. I used to sometimes think that I existed in some kind of virtual world and that everything around me was just a figment of my imagination. There was a theory when I studied at university known as the "Brain in the Vat Theory". This was the belief that the world existed around a person in a philosophical sense and that it was stimulated somehow to give thoughts and feelings. Rene Descartes was also discussed with his "I think therefore I am" theory.

I find navigating the social world extremely challenging at times. People don't always say what they mean and more importantly I cannot make sense of what institutions and bureaucracy exist when all it does is make things just about impossible.

I have found as an Aspie that I can connect with animals and I cannot understand why people can be cruel to animals and often hurt or injure them without having any remorse. For instance animals being harmed or injured when they are defenseless and not able to defend themselves. A famous Aspie who relates to animals is Dr Temple Grandin. She believes she is able to communicate to horses and livestock and a link to her youtube video can be found again by double clicking on the title of this very post. Surely attacking animals is an act which should be condemned and punished to the full extent of the law?

I would really like to see more inclusion of Autism and not this avoidance and ignorance that continues. I think it is great in nursing homes and other centres that cats and dogs are brought in to cheer the lives up of the elderly or the sick. Animals can calm people and people can calm them. Why then does cruelty exist and surely it has to stop?!

No comments:

Post a Comment