Friday, January 28, 2011

Crying for help when the world is cold

As I often experience higher levels of anxiety than most people around me, it can be difficult to always know exactly how to ask for help. A few years ago I was advised by a family friend to go bike riding. This he believed would assist me to get some exercise and help get me out of the house. He was even so kind to give me his son's bicycle which I rode around the streets.

This bike unfortunately had a short life and I decided to purchase an 18 Speed Malvern Star. I used to ride bicycles all of my life and was quick to realise the balance required in order to have the fun and enjoyment with bike riding. To cut a long story short, I was riding a long the road one time and this car was encroaching on my space. To avoid the car and traveling very fast, I tried to avoid the car and mounted a driveway entrance. I thought I knew what I was doing but little did I realise that I was to encounter a serious accident. Suddenly I hit the driveway entrance and I remember going over the front of the handle bars, and landing on the cement pedestrian path beside the road. I saw a piece out of my leg, my right wrist hurt and I could see blood on my shirt and dripping on the pathway. My immediate reaction was to rescue my bike which remained unscathed. As blood dripped from my chin and leaving red spots a long the ground, I was scared and alarmed at what happened to me. Nobody helped me, as I walked into the nearby shopping centre, people stared at me, and offered no help or comfort. I continued to walk and I walked into the MP's electorate office and said I need help! Luckily there was a Doctor's Surgery and my chin was sewed up, my wrist bound and my knee covered and cleaned. My father was called and he came down to take me back home. I was working at a library at the time as a volunteer and I continued to devote my service and more importantly try to get on with life as best I could. When I drove the car in Brisbane, a man abused me and said you should be off the road you d-head! I think you know the words I mean?!

When I went through depression which was more so heightened levels of anxiety. I didn't know what to do. I was scared of the levels being so high that there was no escape. Who could I turn to and who could understand me? I ended up going to the Doctor's Surgery to be prescribed Cipramil to lower my anxiety levels. I just wondered what was the point of life and why should I bother getting up when I knew I was unemployable and didn't know what my purpose to life was and what I should be doing.

Often dealing with Doctors can be very anxiety provoking. Often I think the worst. My recent slip on the driveway was an exercise in thinking and assuming the worst. My arm was in pain. Would it need to be amputated if circulation stopped? I just have to think to myself that everything is not so drastic. I don't know why Brisbane can be so cold at times with people and their reactions. I remember an elderly friend telling me after he was bashed on his driveway that despite being 83 nobody helped him as he tried to stagger to his feet again. I really wonder what is happening in the world and why people can be so cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment