Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reading and assimilating Information

One of the challenges I have on the Autism Spectrum is being able to read large chunks of information and to process information. I often find if I am asked to summarise or read something quickly that I actually have to read the document several times in order to make sense of it. I find I am better with numbers in terms of balancing figures but when it comes to reading or researching for university or other study, I just find it almost impossible and I get overwhelmed easily.

The conventions that exist within society are often hard to fathom or process and I often fail to get the help necessary to assist me with some levels and areas of executive function. When for instance should information be disclosed or kept in confidence or how should I approach a person at work who may be on the phone or dealing with a customer if I need direction in terms of job tasks etc?

Adults with Autism having coping strategies with assimilating information and some like me find it difficult to process fiction. It depends on the individual concerned.

Within the school system there needs to be strategies implemented to assist with learning difficulties and information assimilation. Some adults may be willing to provide support and assistance and they should be encouraged to do so where required. Early intervention and support is crucial I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment