Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Getting a diagnosis

Often I have adults who suspect they may be on the Autism Spectrum. Unfortunately I am unable to offer diagnosis but I try my best to assist them with information where necessary.

Should you feel you are on the Autism Spectrum, I would strongly encourage you to contact Minds and Hearts or go to Dr Tony Attwood's website. You may also want to contact an Asperger Association in your area or if you are in Australia to contact Asperger Services Australia.

Sometimes diagnosis is best should you feel a need to truly understand where you stand in the world.

Some information from Dr Tony Attwood's website may also be of some interest

A qualitative impairment in social interaction:
* Failure to develop friendships that are appropriate to the child’s developmental level.
* Impaired use of non-verbal behaviour such as eye gaze, facial expression and body language to regulate a social interaction.
* Lack of social and emotional reciprocity and empathy.
* Impaired ability to identify social cues and conventions.

A qualitative impairment in subtle communication skills:
* Fluent speech but difficulties with conversation skills and a tendency to be pedantic, have an unusual prosody and to make a literal interpretation.

Restrictive Interests:
* The development of special interests that is unusual in their intensity and focus.
* Preference for routine and consistency

No comments:

Post a Comment