Friday, January 14, 2011

Dealing with a natural disaster

In Brisbane the last week has been like a warzone. With the encroaching floods, people have had their lives seriously threatened by water which has been rapidly rising and seriously infringing upon and endangering people's lives. Despite the hardship, what I have noticed is the growing sense of community and support from among people. I have walked around the neighbourhood and seen at first hand the devastation of the flood. Submerged houses, cars under water and people anxious, in distress or close to tears if they had not already broken down. I have also heard fire engines and helicopters circling around in the skies and dealt with the anxiety myself of not knowing whether water was to go under the house which I am currently house sitting.

The flood did strike a chord of pain with my brother's house which had the lower floor flooded. On visiting his house yesterday, brown mud could be seen on the floors and on some of the furniture which could not be moved. Nearby streets were under brown water and some people were getting about in boats or in bare feet. For the last few days I have found it almost impossible to sleep as I felt on alert should I need to evacuate myself. Things were really scary. I have been impressed by both Queensland Premier Anna Bligh and Lord Mayor Campbell Newman who assumed a very important and critical function of controlling a community in bedlam and needing hope. I thought to myself how Atlanta felt when General Sherman invaded it and how people were forced to evacuate after a city had been attacked. However this was not a human attack but an attack from nature.

In these very turbulent times we must not become complacent as this is still the wet season and we cannot predict what perils mother nature may inflict upon us. We just have to hope that things will improve and get better soon. We need your prayers and support from no matter where you are in the world at this very difficult time. Should you wish to support the flood appeal please visit the link above by again double clicking on the title. Any support would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment