Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Dore Program

In 2005 I completed the Dore Program. The Dore Program was a brain gym designed to help Cerebellum function and it involved a series of exercises to improve function and cognitive performance. The program involved a series of exercises using a wobble board, bean bags and and a board which was used to assist with visual and sensory issues. The Dore Program received a lot of negative press in Australia more so than being looked into more. Criticisms were made that after completing the program a child or person was still not able to read but I do believe I benefited from the program personally. When I completed the program, I found anxiety levels dropped significantly and I was able to concentrate for longer periods than before. The difficulty I encountered was that after completing the program, was I still to persevere with the exercises? Apparently not.

I now use a wobble board when doing gym exercises and finding the left and right balance is improving somewhat. It is easier to think than before and having to use vast amounts of mental energy is becoming less of a problem. The problem with the Dore Program is that it experienced once again the usual 'cut down tall poppy syndrome' and quite frankly I am sick to death of this in Australia. I am sick of the way people cut down those who try to achieve and want to do better!

I would recommend for other Aspies that they get themselves a wobble board and undertake some exercises on a day to day basis even if it is only for 20 mins a day. They would perhaps find an improvement in their cerebellum function and performance. Some adults with AS have to stop using one dimensional thinking and start to see things from both perspectives. You can do a lot of work for adults and some just don't appreciate the work you and others do. I know it is part of their condition but it is sometimes hard to get through to them that they need to modify and change their way of thinking in certain situations.

I think it is a pity the Dore Program received such negative press in Australia and I hope that one day it may be re introduced once again. For now you may want to look at the website for Dore by double clicking on the title "The Dore Program" in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment