I sometimes get asked how Asperger Syndrome affects me as an adult. Here are some of my answers to people's questions.
1. How does Asperger Syndrome affect you?
Answer - Asperger Syndrome affects me in that I find it difficult to understand people, their motives and what is the purpose of small talk. I also have to rely on and use vast amounts of mental energy to simply converse and find myself tired easily.
2. Are you brilliant at anything? Apparently people with Autism are supposed to be brilliant
Answer - I am not brilliant nor do I want to be. I don't really like to compare myself with other people nor do I care if I am good at something or not. I think the world places too much focus on a person being good at something or otherwise they are not as important. Everybody is the same and building up expectations is often unrealistic
3. Would you like a girlfriend or enter a relationship? Answer - I always leave a door open but I am not going to invest large amounts of my time and energy into looking for a relationship. To be honest I find relationships are draining and take a lot of work. They suit some people but not all. I prefer to mind my own business and I expect other people to do the same in relation to me. I find in all honesty because people cannot fathom a man for instance not being in a relationship that their minds tend to try and box quickly. People need to understand Autism more and realise that amongst Aspies relationships are more difficult.
4. What are sensory issues and how do these affect you? - Answer. My ears are super sensitive and when I am stressed my hearing amplifies just like you putting your ear to an old vinyl record and hearing the scratching sound. If you can imagine this then you can understand sensory issues. I also hate certain materials, especially Denim and my eyes can hurt with strong light and glare.
5. Why do you find it difficult to be promoted or take on higher level positions? Answer - I find workplaces are full of a lot of sucking up or idle chit chat. I find it hard also to make up stories to apparently demonstrate how good I am at something. I find it hard to lie and sell myself in the interview process as I prefer to be honest which other people seem to think is negative and I do not understand why they say this. Just being literal is often wrongly perceived.
6. What is Autism like in adults? - Answer - Autism affects adults differently. Some adults have good executive function while others find it difficult to organise their day. A common scenario in Asperger adults is bullying in school, issues with anxiety and high unemployment.
7. Have you ever had a panic attack? Answer - Yes I have and they are no fun. You feel like everything around you is caving in on you and you find it hard to escape the severe anxiety episode.
8 Is exercise good for Aspies? Answer - Yes exercise is good for Aspies as anxiety levels are significantly reduced. I believe a lot of adults with AS and Autism would benefit from increasing their participation in exercise.
9. Do you think Autism is a result of bad parenting? Answer - I think such a question is appalling. My parents are not bad people nor are the people who have persons affected by Autism. Most parents and families are looking for support and people need to be in their shoes for a day to experience what it is like and how the government does not listen.
10. Would you consider going onto medication? Answer - I have tried medication and it does not work for me personally. I do not believe that I should be forcing chemicals down my throat because society has an issue with the way I think and behave. It is society that needs to change not a person needing to rely on mind altering enhancing substances.
11. Do you think the world should change for Autistic people? Answer - I believe there needs to be a two way approach to this question. A person with Autism should not be treated with special treatment nor should an NT refuse to accept the way a person with Autism may be. It is a matter of finding a mutual understanding.
12. Do you think there needs to be more male Aspies to come forward? Answer - Yes. I think it is harder for male aspies as the world places greater expectations on men in general. Asperger men in most instances get tired of society's expectations on them.
No comments:
Post a Comment