Monday, November 22, 2010

Adults on the Autism Spectrum Unite

As I connect with more adults on the Autism Spectrum, I have recently come into contact with another adult on the Autism Spectrum. His name is Arman Khodaei. Arman has been working tirelessly to produce a lot of very informative you tube videos. These videos are very informative and Arman's work in the United States and in general is invaluable.

When I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome in 1998, I felt alone. I believed at the time as I imagine most if not all adults felt. Am I the only person who has this? Does anyone else share or experience the same hardships etc? Over time more and more adults are becoming known and we are coming forward with our stories and experiences. It would be good if one day a global conference could occur for adults on the Autism Spectrum so that we can know we are not alone. There are many other adults who also raise awareness but for the silent majority, those of us who speak out and provide advocacy are helping to break down the barriers. Our videos, blogs, books and other insights provide people with a glimpse into our own lives.

As adults we are all different. Alex Plank has created the "Wrong Planet" website, and Chris Mitchell has helped assist with "Autism Works". My own advocacy is also helping to make it possible for future Aspies and of course the help of other adults to make awareness more possible. I have never met Dr Temple Grandin nor have I met some of the other high profile adults. I hope one day to visit the United States and meet the adults over there. I am of course one person and I need the money to fund such a trip.

Aspies have benefited greatly from the use of Skype, Facebook, Twitter etc to connect with each other from around the globe. I hope that this continues and that other adults can come out of the wilderness of feeling isolated, depressed and/or lonely.

I would encourage anyone to also visit Arman's youtube link by double clicking on the title of this post "Adults on the Autism Spectrum Unite".

No comments:

Post a Comment