Monday, November 22, 2010

Meeting old John

When I lived in Armidale I came across old John. Old John was an elderly Austrian/Italian man in his early 70's. He was formerly a school teacher and a very learned gentleman. Not only had Old John been a school teacher but I can remember him telling me of his war experiences. He often described his early life having lived through the war, being placed in a Nazi Concentration Camp, and being tied up by his thumbs with piano wire. I met John and his Jewish wife while a student in Armidale towards the latter years of my time spent there. As I was so lonely and unable to fit into anything, it was suggested by my parents that I join the Masonic Lodge. The Masonic Lodge was recommended as it was a means of having other people help you. Despite being interviewed for membership into the United Grand Lodge of New South Wales, I was to find out that Old John was a Freemason. As I took an active interest in Astronomy and helped form an astronomical society, I met John at one of the Astronomical meetings. He spoke very poor English and knew a lot about history, science and philosophy. When I assisted with the Astronomical Society of New England, John also helped out as well. It was later that I found out that John was also Master of a Masonic Lodge. When I joined Freemasonry, I was interviewed by two Freemasons and they knew I had Asperger Syndrome. I also visited the lodge prior to my own initiation and saw the Masons dressed up in their black suits. While in Armidale, I enjoyed being in the Masonic Lodge as it was somewhere I could be excepted and I could further explore a deeper sense of thinking. As then as now, I found it difficult to be understood by people. Back then I even had a beard which I wore for a year as I really didn't know who I was as a person and I could also hide behind it. I tried so hard to fit into something where I could get on with people. Despite the Masons being much older than me, I felt that I could belong in something with other people. I visited Masonic Lodges in Guyra, and Uralla as well as Armidale.

Old John was Lodge Master when I first was initiated and raised into Freemasonry. He helped me learn the degree cards and assisted with my proficiency. I would often go to to his house and he would help me learn what was required of me. More importantly he also told me about his earlier life. He described the time when he first came to Australia and worked in the Snowy River Project, how he worked as a layman in Sydney, and more importantly his life in Europe. Sadly, in my final years of being in Armidale, Old John became sick. He often got short tempered in bouts of illness and when I last met him he was rather angry for despite being depressed, I was unable to help him in his time of loneliness. While in Brisbane, I rang a member of the Masonic Lodge only to be told coldly that "John died". I kept in touch with his wife up until a couple of years ago when she was 93 but as far as I know, she is deceased now. Both John and his wife were the only real supportive people in Armidale. I often visited them for a cup of tea and a piece of cake. John also had a distinguished Masonic career having obtained the 33 degree in Freemasonry. I no longer am connected with the Masonic Lodge. I enjoyed being in Freemasonry in Armidale but now I have moved on as I do not really fit into it or feel understood in Queensland or Freemasonry in general. It helped me when I was in Armidale in the times of extreme loneliness and needing somewhere to belong. I wish Old John had of lived a few more years as I never really got to know him well. He was a deep thinker and it was good to be around someone who was not interested in just getting drunk like an average university student but instead liked to think more.

No comments:

Post a Comment