As I look ahead to the future at the start of another week. I wonder to myself where my life is heading. Although I am able to enjoy some relative comfort in that I have a part time job working in a university library mainly shelving books and checking these books in, I wonder if I will be doing this for the rest of my life. I have survived this job for 5 years but wonder if I will be in it until retirement?! I have contemplated starting my own business and being self employed but I am not sure if I would be able to manage as there is a lot of responsibility and furthermore commitments which need to be carried out.
I often try and save up as best I can to plan a holiday and I am wondering whether I will go to Spain or to visit Ireland and Wales next year as well as England. I intend to visit friend and fellow Aspie, Chris Mitchell.
I also wonder if I can assist in getting either Specialisterne or Autism Works to Australia to employ adults on the Autism Spectrum so there is a lot going on. I have a Board Meeting to attend this week with Asperger Services Australia and my presentation with Dr Kate Sofronoff from the University of Queensland Department of Psychology on Friday 5th November 2010 with Autism Queensland. Apart from this, I am attending a few meetings of Toastmasters and trying my best to be sociable where I can. This is not easy as I have to try and learn basic chit chat which I am getting help with from the university in speech pathology.
Often progress is slow and I can only invest my time where I am least likely to confront disappoint and humiliation. I feel though more awareness is becoming available about the work which is being done by many on the Autism front. I am not sure if I will be successful in the Library Assistant Position I applied for at the University of Queensland but I know I can only try my best. If I am knocked back for the 12th time, then I think it will be wise I invest my energies into starting my own business as I know I can do more but this negative stereotype needs to be lifted. I just need time to demonstrate my skills and abilities.
It is Sunday night, and I hope things will soon look more positive. I have some house sits next year to look forward to and a possible overseas trip but I would like to be in a job I enjoy doing also. I have my fingers crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment