Sunday, October 17, 2010

Growing Orchids

As a teenager one of my obsessions was growing orchids. I began my interest in growing orchids at the age of 13. My Grandmother's next door neighbour grew orchids and I was fascinated at how an orchid could grow on a tree trunk with little or not nutrients and could produce such beautiful flowers. I can also remember the scent of the orchids come spring when all the tree trunks in this neighbour's garden would be alive with such colourful and delicate flowers.

I began my orchid collection over time. I used to visit orchid shows in Brisbane and it was here that I would look for different orchid species to add to my already growing collection. Some of the orchids were easy to grow and others more challenges. There are different types of orchid with the many species including:

Dendrobium
Cattelya
Cymbidium
Oncidium
Paphiopedilum

While I endured my 'war service' in high school, I would retreat into the world of growing orchids and some of the orchid species I had within my collection lasted for several years. I used to be able to get the orchids to flower feeding them half strength fertilizer and producing wonderful blooms.

People do not realise that orchids are relatively easy to grow. Although they are liked because of their rarity, the flowers are distinct and I guess have their own symmetrical charm. I grew orchids up until I started university but lost interest in them as I was between Brisbane and Armidale and could not always attend to them. I still have some orchids now but I have lost quite a lot to recent drought and virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment