The personal experiences and stories of an adult with Asperger Syndrome on the Autism Spectrum by Garry Burge.
Friday, October 1, 2010
Reviewing the Medical Fraternity's View of the Autism Spectrum
One of the major areas or ensuring awareness is paramount is the Medical Fraternity. When you apply for support through services and support, the medical fraternity seems unaware that people on the Autism Spectrum encounter a condition which is life long. What this means is that Autism just doesn't go away and nor does it disappear in a person's life when they are younger. Adults with Autism do exist and more and more an awareness and understanding is essential from the medical fraternity in order to understand. When a person applies for support, from experience it seems that Doctors, and Medical Practitioners seem acutely unaware that the condition is life long. When I have attended a consultation I am often asked: Do you feel depressed? Have you thought about committing suicide or ending your life recently? Do you have a history of mental illness? I feel confused when answering such questions as I am not depressed, I just need help for society to understand me and I am sure I speak for other adults in that they are wanting the same. The important distinction which I feel needs to be made between Autism and Mental Illness is that Autism exhibits some of the symptoms similar to mental illness in a feeling of not having much motivation and also the monotone voice. Perhaps like both the interview, and dating stumbling block, the consultation stumbling block tends to overlook the real difficulties adults and children on the Autism Spectrum need and require within medical consultations. I seriously believe the Medical Fraternity needs a wake up call in terms of understanding Autism because it is something that is long overdue and the condition is life long. Instead of Aspies being medicated like children in a lolly shop with different medications like candies, surely it is about time that more understanding and referral to important and essential services become available. Mental Health Care Plans I understand can be long in order to obtain the Medicare Rebate, but surely Doctors can have training in terms of Autism Awareness?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment