I was asked just recently, are you uncomfortable with what you post on your blog and also are you qualified as some kind of Medical Practitioner? In simply answering these questions, no I am not uncomfortable about what I post on my blog because I believe I am promoting awareness of Asperger Syndrome and if people read it and understand then good, but if they perhaps need more time or their minds are closed then that is their decision to make and lastly it is not my problem but theirs. In answer to the second question, I have often been asked if I am medically qualified and I guess I am in an unconventional sense. I have endured a life of having to survive as best I can with the limited support around me and which also is non unavailable. If I have endured such difficulty and hardship, then surely I should share this with others and should they be struggling on their own, then would not it be a blessed reassurance to them that there has been someone who has already walked in their shoes?
To be honest I find this conventional world full of often unrealistic expectations and debilitating struggles. If I hadn't of coped as best I could, I would perhaps be stuck in some mental hospital being fed an intravenous drip, or continually have pills shoved down my throat or be medicated with antidepressants in order to survive and cope with people's lack of awareness of Asperger Syndrome. I find the conventional world fraught with a lot of unrealistic expectations. In my own life, I have tried to follow the conventions and meet their requirements only to confront a serious body blow in return. I think personally speaking that IQ Tests are really nonsense and giving up on children whom society believes have no brains is just uncalled for and clearly unacceptable. In the case of Albert Einstein he was an under performer within the school system but blossomed later in life. I do not believe society reserves the right to tell people or brand people who are different or who have Autism the way it has done in the past and still continues to do at the moment. You do not need to have a medical qualification to understand Asperger Syndrome when you have endured in your own personal life, depression, severe anxiety, people constantly making your life difficult or being bullied to extreme. You find a coping mechanism in order to help you survive as best you can. I am kind of sick and tired of the tribal instincts of people that anyone who is different or eccentric should confront some kind of conformity or conversion. As long as they do not break any laws or display any uncalled for anti social tendencies, then why not learn from them? Too often I believe the wrong people are raised on pedestals when quite simply there are people in our community that are doing a hell of a lot more. I know of some friends that devote a great deal of time to unseen work and instead society tends to want to cast light on people who cannot even control their liquor as some kind of celebrity. Surely something needs to change. Money is not everything and I believe money just creates greed anyway when people spend too much of their life focused on it. I like and still use today the quote of Thomas Alva Edison about genius which I see more as success "genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration" Not everyone falls within the area of conformity and why should those who are eccentric have to endure the same. If people are unable to open their minds and to try and understand people on the Autism Spectrum well then this is really their problem and not mine. We need to focus as a society on the people who will listen, understand and see the merits of people on the Autism Spectrum in our society. You don't need to be a genius sometimes you just need to be able to tell your story right and to the people who take the time and want to listen!
No comments:
Post a Comment