I am now 38 years of age, and like other people I endured 12 years of schooling but unlike some other Aspies, I was diagnosed while in school and nothing was known about Asperger Syndrome at the time. While being at both primary and high school, the two experiences were completely different. Primary School was not as bad as High School because the latter was a period of bullying and being misunderstood by the School System. I then ask the question of whether things may have changed if I was diagnosed earlier, and socialized within a more supportive and education system? Personally I believe that I was sent to the wrong High School and I wish I could have gone to an Independent School or perhaps a school more capable and understanding in a person with different needs. I really despised the Bjelke Peterson Government Education system which focused too much on the School Principal having too much power and the appalling TE Score System that followed it. The TE Score was from my understanding a series of magic numbers which determined a person's career path and the higher the score, the better the profession. Persons who were ranked on the lower categories were virtually told or it was decided by this archaic system of their career expectations or fate.
I can remember teachers telling me I had no brains or that being at school was a waste of time for me and that I was better suited to manual labour or some other socialised prerogative. At the time, I thought who are you to tell me what I should and should not do and what gives these little hormonal mutants the right to bully, tease and intimidate when I do not want to do the same things which they do? Also why should people have to follow sport if they don't have the co-ordination to do it and literally forced to conform to expectations when perhaps other interests are overlooked? I think educating Aspies perhaps has to take on a different dimension but surely something can be done about the bullying and teasing as it scars a person psychologically later in life. Early intervention is perhaps better but being forced to conform and be socialised is perhaps something which is questionable.
No comments:
Post a Comment