The personal experiences and stories of an adult with Asperger Syndrome on the Autism Spectrum by Garry Burge.
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
An Autism Aware and Supportive University
Yesterday, I met with a few adults and the newly appointed Student Disability Advisor at the University of Queensland. I was pleased to hear that the newly appointed staff member had previously worked in the United Kingdom where a great deal of support and awareness of Autism is evident. Some of the concepts discussed were for and this I must only emphasize is just discussion, is for an Autism Aware Facility within UQ. There would be many advantages to this but as things can only be discussed at this point and remain just hopeful optimism, I was happy to have met with the Disability Advisor at any rate.
What then are the advantages and purposes of an Autism Support Facility at UQ? To begin with, many adults with Autism should be afforded the opportunity of being able to nurture and harness their abilities. For example, depending on their level of expertise or possible special interests which may include Science, Maths etc. A supportive university environment would provide assistance and encouragement to those individuals concerned. Furthermore, there may exist students who would like to further their skills and academia to perhaps consider post graduate study or pursue some academic career, perhaps in the area of a Phd or Tutor etc. I think that if the University of Queensland were to take on board such an initiative, it would pave the way for future students on the Autistic Spectrum and their families to be reassured that their family member would have peace of mind knowing that support would be available at a Tertiary Level. Some adults with Asperger Syndrome have already pursued tertiary study and have survived as best they can but I think sadly, some adults on the spectrum give up at university level because they know that support and services are not available to accommodate their needs. Sadly people that would play an important role and function within an academic environment and truly demonstrate the hallmarks of tertiary study are denied the opportunity of success. As this is only a thought at the moment an Autistic Friendly University and a first for Australia and New Zealand would include the following:
1. An adult group at the University to ensure support and a safe/time out zone for the stresses of existing in an academic environment. 2. Support and liaison between students/staff and lecturers to ensure that support is available. 3. The University to approach Secondary Schools and to promote awareness within the general public of the opportunities and support for people with a disability including the Autistic Spectrum. 4. The Autism Support Facility (Possible Name Change) to provide encouragement and no longer deter disability within its framework.
Of course a lot great deal of input and fine tuning would need to be considered to allow such an establishment to exist but generating ideas I consider to not be an issue. I remember back to my own university days where I struggled through a Bachelor of Arts Degree at the University of New England and although I had close contact with academics, the problem I confronted was a lack of support to truly allow me the opportunity of identifying my own problems and finding support and solutions to overcome them. Maybe support for Autism may never occur within the University of Queensland but should UQ undertake such an initiative, it would be fostering or promoting a positive image and be the first in Australia and perhaps the rest of the world in adopting such a strategy. I have fought long and hard to keep the UQ Asperger Group going and now it is good to see some support in ensuring that the group continues but I think more can be done. The University needs to make the group more known and aware of so to ensure that potential students, and staff know of its existence. Positive and productive work needs to be carried out and implemented to reveal the group to the the campus and to attract and ensure future students on the spectrum are aware of its existence. I think and firmly believe the pioneering needs to begin. Education Queensland also needs to change and furthermore the attitude and support for potential and current students/staff also needs to change. We can only hope and do the best we can! Another project which also would be both useful and valuable is the beginning of the digitisation process of material in all 14 branch libraries. Perhaps adults on the Autistic Spectrum could play a useful part in this process and also obtain productive and worthwhile employment?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment