Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Child hood experiments

When I was younger I used to conduct experiments and find out the reactions. Some experiments were putting pure alcohol into a plate notably Icol and then setting it on fire, filling a glass with vinegar and adding bi carb of Soda and watching the chemical reaction. I also conducted experiments with water siphoning and finding ways of making water go upwards rather than downwards with the flow of gravity. I also used to take apart clocks and then put them back together but find it hard going to keep them working. I also made flame torches by getting a bromstick and wrapping a cloth around it and then dampening the cloth with methylated spirits. Other experiments included making counter weights, making things with Mercano Sets (Steel Devices used for Engineering Projects), Walkie Talkies, Shortwave Receivers, and trying to make kites. I remember the first Kite I had was one my father made out of 2 pieces of doweling with all ends tied with string resembling a diamond shape. I wanted to see how high I could fly a kite before it came crashing down. I presumed that the more string or fishing line I put on the kite, the more further I could send it into the heavens. In a rural location, with the weather being perfect, I sent this kite into the skies and it went higher and higher with more and more strong fishing wish attached to it. It was so high at one point that it was a fair height. I am not sure of the rules associated with kite flying because can a kite actually interfere with aircraft? My thought at the time was that if it did, then the string would snap and I can't imagine any damage done. Well it would be hard to get a kite to go that high at any rate. One of the things I used to do with kite flying was playing the game of sending messages to the kite itself. What you would do was to get a piece of paper and put a slit into it and then watch it as it went up the string to meet with the kite itself. Out of all forms of kites the best ones are the diamond shape ones as they fly the best. Box Kites are usually hard to fly and they require a lot of window to keep them airborne. Kites were always fun to play with but the problem nowadays is that suburban areas have many obstacles associated with them such as close together houses and nobody seems to fly kites anymore. I can remember trying to make Lemonade with an old recipe of adding so much water, adding lemons and then sugar. Lemonade tasted good and better than the lolly water you buy in the shops. Orchids were another experiment to find out what form of fertilizer was best to get them flowering. Another experiment was ways of riding a bike up hill and not having to rely on foot pedals. I worked out that if you fish tailed up the street going from side to side in a diagonal direction that it took the strain off riding straight upwards despite being slow. Tree climbing was also another thing I did which was to find a tree which had easy limbs to climb and see how high I could get. The list of childhood experiments go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment