The personal experiences and stories of an adult with Asperger Syndrome on the Autism Spectrum by Garry Burge.
Monday, April 12, 2010
Giving things a go
I have now entered the phase of 2 weeks house sitting and I also undertook my Skills enhancement today at the University of Queensland Library. I am proud of achievements but can never really understand why I doubt my own abilities. Despite undertaking the Skills Enhancement and trying to get my head the early stages of writing a thesis, I was able to deliver my best in terms of the skills enhancement and see writing a thesis as a real challenge. As I write this post, I have just settled into the house sit and dealing with a dog with anti social tendencies or more so heightened anxiety. No matter what I do, this do is just coy and I just have to let it adapt the way it feels best. I was able to get it to go for a walk with me this evening so at least that is some kind of a start. I often feel afraid of life because I don't know what is ahead of me. Where am I going? Who I am? Am I being realistic in my pursuits? Such questions go over and over in my mind like a tape recorder and yet to the outside world, I exist an unknown figure. My strength is something I can rely on but are the challenges I am undertaking realistic? A friend has recently asked me to his engagement party. I feel honoured as I haven't caught up with the friend concerned in years. It makes me feel happy that at least someone bothered to include me in something special in their life. I am trying to read as much as I can but I am taking things slowly with my research as otherwise I will burn out. I know all I can do is give things my best and hope my life takes a turn for the better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have spent many a day pondering those very questions...where am I going? who am I? and I can only guess that the average adult with Aspergers has more internal dialogue and questions such as those. It seems my mind is always working. The thing that often helps me, is exactly what you are doing...writing about it. Plus, I have 2 or 3 close friends/ family members with whom I can bounce ideas and thoughts off, and that helps.
ReplyDeleteAt 46, I still can't say I know exactly who I am, but I have some general ideas and good indications from all my life experiences.
Keep trying new things and find out what works best for you! Write and think about who you want to be and you will become that. You sound like a very intelligent, thoughtful, caring person...you are off to a very good start! Amy
Thanks for your feedback
ReplyDelete