Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Obsessing

One of the things that really changed my mood recently was one of my parents cutting a cane on an orchid. I felt really annoyed at this and wondered why this happened. An orchid is not like any other plant in that you prune it once it has finished flowering. When I went out to see the orchid, I was disturbed by it being severed and I stressed out about it. This happened on Saturday last and it changed my mood when it happened. I thought why did you cut the orchid stem and why could you do this? Although I have explained to them that orchids don't like being severed in such a way, they were not willing to listen because they think orchids are like any other plant. I have been somewhat anxious of this plant now dying and furthermore not everyone understands yours sensory distress when something like this happens. I have always grown orchids for the simple means of providing an escape from humanity and although I have lost some interest in them over the years, I still do feed and look after them and try and get them to flower. Despite having to live with my parents who don't always understand the many symptoms of AS, the orchids I have also suffered disease and virus. This being due to the need to have a concrete floor beneath the orchid house to wash away and virus or disease. Obsessing is due to many factors and some people with AS can be distressed by certain foods and noises. They can also be stressed out by someone changing their room around or interfering with clothing in their cupboard by throwing clothes away or even buying clothes that you may have a reaction to sensory wise.

2 comments:

  1. I agree...both my Aspergers son adn myself share the specific affinity and love of plants and both of us have experiences great distress, mostly when we see healthy trees being cut down for no apparant reason. It seems some of us Aspies can relate and understand/ even sympathize with plant life and/ or animal life more readily than the neuro-typical. Thank you for bringing up this subject, Garry!!!! I so agree!

    ReplyDelete